Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

1. Back To Top    #1

TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

I followed the steps but when I fill the ciliner I can still clearly see the black dot at waist level. It's fresh water 24hrs old. I used the calc to add cya in a knee high.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by my4boys2002
    I followed the steps but when I fill the ciliner I can still clearly see the black dot at waist level. It's fresh water 24hrs old. I used the calc to add cya in a knee high.
    Is your sample from 1 foot below the surface? Have you tested for CYA before?

Usually that result means 0.

You added the CYA? When? It can take a week to register on tests....the granules dissolve from the knee high but they are still dissolving in the water so you can't see it. You should not clean your filter or backwash for one week while dissolving.

Hope I helped?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok it's the first time Iv'e used the TF kit. I did go about a foot under Il wait til next week and retest.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm having a bit of trouble with my new TF kit as well. The CYA test is off the chart, which maxes out at 100. It's a new pool, so maybe I need to wait a little to get an accurate measurement? The not-seeing-the-black-dot thing is a bit of a pain.
    20,000 plaster in ground (finally blue!), Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter and Baracuda G4 Automatic Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal
    I'm having a bit of trouble with my new TF kit as well. The CYA test is off the chart, which maxes out at 100. It's a new pool, so maybe I need to wait a little to get an accurate measurement? The not-seeing-the-black-dot thing is a bit of a pain.
    Thread hijack in progress....

When you say "new pool"....did anyone 'balance' your new pool water "for you", like the pool company?

Are you sure no one put in something called "stabilizer" or "conditioner"....
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Isn't satbilzer and CYA the same thing? I may have done an OOPS I put stabilzer in a few days ago.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

7. Back To Top    #7

Isn't satbilzer and CYA the same thing? I may have done an OOPS I put stabilzer in a few days ago.
    Yes, same thing. What do you mean, Oops....

8. Back To Top    #8

I thought from your last post we should not have added stabilizer. Thats was all I could find at walmart. Was I suposed to add that? I went by the pool cal when I filled the pool. Everything else looks good.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

9. Back To Top    #9

The PB got the pool up to levels, I assume, and then dumped in the salt and started it up. I haven't been able to get a reading on CYA yet. Is there another kit I get from the store that is more accurate than the black-dot method just to get a second opinion, so to speak?
    20,000 plaster in ground (finally blue!), Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter and Baracuda G4 Automatic Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I thought from your last post we should not have added stabilizer. Thats was all I could find at walmart. Was I suposed to add that? I went by the pool cal when I filled the pool. Everything else looks good.
    CYA is stabilizer. You added it, which you needed, according to the pool calculator, right? So you should be good yes? Otherwise I'm totally confused....

11. Back To Top    #11

The PB got the pool up to levels, I assume, and then dumped in the salt and started it up. I haven't been able to get a reading on CYA yet. Is there another kit I get from the store that is more accurate than the black-dot method just to get a second opinion, so to speak?
    Nah, the home kits are all about the same. You could take it to the pool store and see what result they get?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    CYA is stabilizer. You added it, which you needed, according to the pool calculator, right? So you should be good yes? Otherwise I'm totally confused....
    Oh I see....no I was answering the other posts about his CYA being off the chart, and I thought maybe the pool company put too much stabilizer in. You should be fine if you followed the dosage according the pool calculator.

Hope this makes sense.....

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Nah, the home kits are all about the same. You could take it to the pool store and see what result they get?
    The disappearing dot test is pretty much standard in home kits and pool store labs. Some pool stores use a colorimeter/turbidimeter to read the cloudiness of the sample but it really isn't that much more accurate.

14. Back To Top    #14

WHAT IS THE TRICK ?Re: TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

So what is the trick to this test? Do you pour slowly till it first disappears, register that point or do you wait till the water settles and see if the dot shows. Watch out for that reflection of your head against the sky - can look just like a dot, make you crazy!!!!!
    It is what it is, and sometimes it's scary!
    AG-22200 gal 45x18x4
    1hp pump 19 inch 100 lb sand filter
    apx 45 gal per min
    Summerville SC.

15. Back To Top    #15

Re: WHAT IS THE TRICK ?Re: TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by tfnyla7713
    So what is the trick to this test? Do you pour slowly till it first disappears, register that point or do you wait till the water settles and see if the dot shows. Watch out for that reflection of your head against the sky - can look just like a dot, make you crazy!!!!!
    Try this:
    put your sample and reagent in the dispensing vial and shake for thirty seconds.
    Let it stand for three to five minutes and shake it again for about 20 seconds right before dispensing into the view tube.
    Standing outdoors in open shade with the view tube at waist level slowly dispense the mixture into the tube until the black dot is gone. It's really not all that subjective. It just takes a bit of practice.

16. Back To Top    #16

This helped me.....here is the visual for the test:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!