Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do leaves in the pool create or help Algae grow?

1. Back To Top    #1

Woodbury, MN

Do leaves in the pool create or help Algae grow?

I just bought a home with a pool. The neighbors' tree branches over the pool. It doesn't look like the pool has been opened in a year and a half. Vacuuming and skimming have yielded...leaves...lots of leaves. I'm curious as to whether leaves are simply a nuisance or if they can cause algae or help algae grow? I don't want my first order of business to ask the neighbor if I can trim the tree, but I will if I have to.
    20K gal, IG vinyl, intelliFlo variable speed pump, SD60 sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Do leaves in the pool create or help Algae grow?

Any organic material left in the pool will consume your chlorine and, when the chlorine gets too low, algae is next.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Southwest Chicago Suburb

I don't think the tree creates any algae problems. My maple tree is about 25 feet tall and overhangs about 1/4 of the pool. I get plenty of leaves and things dropping from the tree into the pool. You just have to keep the skimmer basket clean and vacuum a little more.

All in all I love having the shade in the later afternoon.

27' above ground pool, cartridge filter, 2 speed 2HP Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

After the initial kill and oxidation, organic debris basically inert. Otherwise, I would need to clean my filter more than once per year as there are plenty of leaves and dead worms in there.

However, staining could still be a problem.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

1. Leaves (and other stuff that trees drop) are a nuisance
    2. They won't directly cause or help algae grow, but like duraleigh stated, they will cause a little chlorine to be consumed, so you'll have to use a little more to keep it up at algae-prevention levels
    3. Leaves can help algae to "hide" from chlorine, too, so you'll want to remove them through skimming, vacuuming or manually catching them

I love my leaf-dropping, acorn-dropping, twig-dropping oak that shades the pool and yard; the droppings in the pool are a nuisance, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex