Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding granular CYA to Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding granular CYA to Skimmer

The pool store guy told me to slowly add the CYA directly into the skimmer (not in a sock).
    He said the CYA would sit on the sand in the filter and disolve.
    I noticed you guys suggest adding the granules into a sock.
    Is there a problwm with letting the granules go into the skimmer directly?
    I could see the granules swirling around in the pump strainer.

Thanks
    12.5K gallons, AG - 15x30 oval, 2 hp 2 speed Pump, 22" Sand Filter, 25 sq ft Cartridge filter, AstralPool VX7S Salt Chlorinator, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding granular CYA to Skimmer

The danger of adding them to the skimmer is that you'll lose the CYA if the filter is backwashed before the granules are dissolved. If you don't backwash for a week you should be ok. You can avoid that worry by hanging them in a sock in front of a return.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

When you add it to a sock you will be sure that it all got dissolved and into the water. When you add it to a skimmer the CYA might sit in the filter and not have enough flow over it to dissolve it and you might need to backwash the filter before it dissolves. If you added it to a skimmer without a sock make sure you run the pump for 48 hours and don't backwash for a week.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

OK...that makes good sense. Next time I will use the sock in the skimmer to make sure it dissolvs first.
    I am supposed to receive my TF-100 today, and will then determine if I need more CYA.
    I ran the pump 24/7 for about 5 days, so hopefully all the CYA dissolved.
    I am now only running the pump about 10 hours a day.
    The pump pressure is still the same as when I started (about 16psi) so I dont plan to backwash anytime soon.
    Thanks
    12.5K gallons, AG - 15x30 oval, 2 hp 2 speed Pump, 22" Sand Filter, 25 sq ft Cartridge filter, AstralPool VX7S Salt Chlorinator, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Just remember that it can take up to a week for CYA to show up on a test after adding it.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

There were also a couple reports of the CYA possibly creating a clog in the suction pipe ... not sure how (maybe poured way too fast), but why risk it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I was reading the instructions for CYA last week, IIRC Step One: Clean the Filter, I guess this assumes if you clean the filter before adding the CYA via the skimmer, you should not need to clean/backwash your filter for a week. This assumes your filter CAN run a week without needing cleaning. If you have any debris in the pool, this may not be possible.

The recommendations here don't make assumptions and allow for imperfect water. In general, I find the instructions on chemicals make assumption that in many cases, are bad assumptions. If you are not the standard gunnite pool, with no damage or metals in your water and clear water, you may damage your pool, pump or water.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I have added it directly to the skimmer numerous times without a problem. I have a cartridge filter though so I don't have the backwashing issue to contend with. Now, I'm not saying that you should dump 4 pounds into the skimmer in a big clump, but a pound shouldn't be a big deal.

9. Back To Top    #9

257, the challenge here is that our recommendations do NOT require we know all of your exceptions. We know hanging a sock in front of a return works every time, in every pool, without and risk to the pump or filter and if you need to backwash, you have not wasted the product.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    257, the challenge here is that our recommendations do NOT require we know all of your exceptions. We know hanging a sock in front of a return works every time, in every pool, without and risk to the pump or filter and if you need to backwash, you have not wasted the product.
    Bingo!!
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit