Hello from Sunny Northeast Florida :: BayScoutTim ::

Just a quick hello from Northeast Florida. I have a 2010 28' round Doughboy. We have played the pool game over the past 10 years. :blah: We have lost this pool almost every year. :hammer: Now I'm taking over as "pool boy" :whoot: and found this wonderful site during my research. TODAY I ordered the TF-100 XL kit to renew my frog pond.

I already have a good start. We dug the heavy stuff out with a leaf net. I then installed a sock over the filter. We have been rotating socks every 4 hours for the past week. During this time I have been using simple test kit to get ballpark numbers until my test kit arrives.

So far we have cleared up most of the algea, kept the chlorine levels high using Dichlor. It is "almost clear" .

Will put the finishing touches in it over the coming weeks. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
BayScoutTim

Hi, welcome to TFP! Be very careful using the dichlor, it will cause your CYA level to rise. You should switch to liquid chlorine, either from a pool store or 8% plain unscented bleach until you are able to test and confirm your CYA level. Liquid chlorine is best since it will not add any CYA or Calcium to the water. The only way to lower high CYA or Calcium is to drain and refill the pool water. It doesn't evaporate out and there is no chemical that can eliminate it from the water. High CYA will make your pool difficult to manage.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
BayScoutTim said:
TODAY I ordered the TF-100 XL kit...
Excellent choice :goodjob: Sounds like you have a good grasp of some of the basics already, though I completely agree with zea3 about switching from dichlor to liquid bleach.

Suggest taking a look at these articles to help get a better understanding of the chlorine/CYA relationship and recommended chemicals: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine CYA Chart, Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thanks Guy's.

right now I can test my chlorine. It is on the low side. I have added a total of 3 lbs. of Dichlor. Should be safe on the CYA for an 18k gallon pool? It was a frog pond when I started so there was "nothing" but rainwater this go-round. I will hold off on adding the Dichlor and switch over to the 8% concentrated bleach from Dollar General until my TF-100 test kit arrives.

When you say "drain the pool" I'm assuming you mean "drain out six to eight inches of water from the pool" OR whatever it takes to get it to the proper CYA levels. Just asking for future reference in case it did spike high. I could drain/refill multiple times, checking between cycles to ensure proper levels. I have an artesian well so water is my least expensive resource.

I am continuing with the articles, videos, etc. right now don't have a complete grasp on it.

Thanks again for "being there". I'll be back! Just got a notice that my test kit was shipped.

Tim

Nice choice you are going to love the speedstir
This thing is great!
My next purchase will be the Sample Sizer Measuring Tool

Hi All,
I didn't disappear . . . Just been working with the TF-100 test kit and balancing the pool. I have everything under control for now. The water is relatively clear and the numbers are good. Built an aerator to work out some calcium deposits over time. Also, my Barracuda died; :eek: after searching the forum I bought an Aquabot Breeze 4WD, comes in tomorrow :cheers:

Now that I have clear water I can "see" the other issues I have. A few calcium patches, will work on those over time. Also have yellow stains "all over" the pool bottom. This is from the "Green Swamp" Gum tree leaves I believe. I also found rusted metal chunks on the bottom, presumably from the 2 rusted rails I have to replace.

My next step? Going for some Vitamin C pills at the pharm. shortly to determine what the stains are.

My long term goal is to use this 13 year old liner as a test bed. I will go through the winter and into the spring for the pool opening to "learn" the process. After the opening is successful I will be replacing the liner, it is very used and worn.

2 weeks ago I would have told you you where crazy about me doing this work. Since I have become the PoolBoy :whip: I am actually enjoying the work and challenges. :party:

Looking forward to getting the stains out, ought to be fun!

BayScoutTim

OK,

Performed the Vitamin-C pill test. It scrubbed the stain right off so . . . . I have iron stains. This is, I guess, is from my well water or the rusty debris that chipped/fell off of the top trim rails.

Now I'm doing 2 things with the well water. Test it With the TF-100 test kit and send a sample to the county for a complete test. It's $30 from them so it's well worth it. :lol: pun- intended.

BTW, here is picture of the SpeedStir in action for those that don't have one . . . . Get one.

[center:3go314tg][/center:3go314tg]

BayScoutTim