crusty deposits on liner

Aug 5, 2013
Hi all, I have deposits on the side walls of my liner. They do not come off with regular brushing, I can get them off with very aggressive scraping with my fingernail. I've had them a few years not sure what from. I believe the algae problem I have is due to these deposits being an easy spot for the algae to start. No matter what my chlorine level is the algae will accumulate on the sides. Question is, can I get them off? Will I tear the liner up doing so? Should I buy another liner. The pool is between 8-10 years old. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum 46country.

Without knowing more about your water chemistry it is really difficult to say. Do you have a test kit that can tell you about Calcium, Alkalinity, and pH? It could be scale even though that is less common in vinyl pools, yet not impossible. As for your chlorine being good and still getting Algae, that is a classic symptom of a high CYA level. Let us know what kind of kit you have and what numbers you can give us. If you have any time at all, we strongly encourage you to read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. We are all about understanding what is going on in our pools and the effects of adding the required chemicals. Let us know and we can go from there. Again, welcome to TFP.

Thanks Brushpup, I went and took a water sample in to the nearby pool store and they did not test for calcium however here are my results. The deposits have been on the liner several years.
FC 3.4ppm
tc 3.6ppm
cc .2ppm
ph 7.5
hardness 547ppm
alkalinity 80
cya 55ppm
The kit is made by chemtel which I use for daily testing. I have a 28 foot round 4 foot deep pool 18,520 gallons. My biggest problem is filtration. I have a Swimpro sand filter by Hayward with a vari/flo XL valve, 50psi and 75gpm. Its a globe shape and I don't believe it filters as good as the cylinder shaped filters do. It had a 1.5 hp motor which I changed to a 1hp and I still have to much flow on the return. I also use a filter bag on the return along with a dry filter aid I add each time I back wash. I cant vacuum through the filter it blows back into the pool. I always have to vacuum to bypass. Which adding water a lot end up with a chemical nightmare. In 7 years I have never had crystal clear water. I do have some good experience with pools. We sold our other house which had a 24 foot round that I maintained for 3 years with ease. This home we have now came with this pool and system. With the cost to run the pump 24/7, chemicals and the poor weather Michigan has had this year I'm ready to have a duck pond instead. If anyone can help it would be a great help. Maybe a new pump too??

Thanks
David

What are you using to maintain chlorine? We need to know what the ingredients are in the chlorine product you are using.

How do you feel about purchasing your own reliable test kit? It would make maintaining your pool so much easier, more accurate and cut the pool store right out of your life.

You are Welcome Dave.

Your current numbers do no indicate a high scaling potential at all for vinyl, and not likely for plaster. Assuming your numbers are correct. You will find that we don't often trust numbers from pool stores. If what you are describing is scale, perhaps it was laid down before you owned the pool? I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the kit you mention, but does it test for what I asked? If not, we will strongly encourage you to get a better one that is reliable and comprehensive as Casey mentioned above.

Is this layer abrasive/sand paper feeling to the touch? Does it have any color? Also, where is this layer...above, or below the waterline?

Thanks again, I've just switched to the BBB method last week. Before that I used Trichlor chlorine 3 inch tabs, Powder magic ac super oxidizer or calcium hypochlorite for my shock. I agree with Casey that a better test kit which includes a calcium test is best. I have been keeping track of my levels all the time. The deposits may have been there before I owned the pool. The layer is abrasive, like sand paper, has no color, below the water line.

Sounds like scale but I am at a loss as to why with those numbers. Something happened in the past if you ask me. If I was guessing, I would say the water sat stagnant for a long time, maybe with high pH and it deposited that way. I let mine winter over and had something similar this year, but I lowered the pH and it brushed off with a broom. Easily I might add, and it was much like you describe. However, my TA was over 180, and my calcium over 700. Sorry not to be of more help, but you might try mechanical removal with a stiff (plastic bristle) push broom.

If you are getting sand back through the filter, it's likely a cracked/broken lateral, or too much flow. I'm not high on that knowledge scale, but I've heard 60 GPM is max for most sand filters. Maybe Bama Rambler or another can answer you better on this one. Sorry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.