debris coming out of jet into pool

Aug 4, 2013
Covina,CA.
i am a new pool owner and trying to maintain the pool myself. today i turned on my hayward vacuum which is connected to my skimmer and it started shooting out debris from the jet. it seemed to stop after about 10 min. what could have caused this to happen?

Thanks, tvalenzuela

"Cart" refers to a cartridge in a cartridge filter. Since yours is DE, you will backwash to clean it. Since you are new to the pool and there was debris shooting out, you may want to do a manual clean of your DE filter. Instructions can be found in the manual here: http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... ers-61.htm.

Once it is all clean and re-charged with DE, look at the pressure gauge. You will want to backwash and re-charge with DE whenever the pressure rises by 25% of this pressure when clean.

Slightly off topic, but related:

Do you have a good test kit and how are you taking care of your pool chemically?

If you could put your pool info in your signature, it would help. Use the User Control Panel to do this. Also, your location would be a good idea, as sometimes that makes a difference on advice given here. Nearest large city is close enough.

Maybe - if the PSI of your filter is 20 immediately after cleaning.
In general, what he is saying that that you clean your filter and note the pressure in PSI.
As the filter starts to get more and more dirty the pressure will rise because it will be harder to pump water through the dirt in the filter.
So, let's say your PSI when the filter is clean is 10 PSI.
You should backwash when the PSI is 25% more then the clean PSI.
10 x .25 = 2.5. So, if your clean PSI is 10, then you should backwash when the PSI goes above 12.5

If you clean PSI is 20 then 20 x .25 = 5 so you would backwash when your filter goes above 25 PSI.

Make sense? Did you clean your filter yet? If so, what was the PSI immediately after cleaning?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.