Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: debris coming out of jet into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

debris coming out of jet into pool

i am a new pool owner and trying to maintain the pool myself. today i turned on my hayward vacuum which is connected to my skimmer and it started shooting out debris from the jet. it seemed to stop after about 10 min. what could have caused this to happen?

Thanks, tvalenzuela
    15'x37' 22833 gallons, inground swimming pool, pentair FNS plus, hayward vaccum
    Covina, CA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: debris coming out of jet into pool

What type of filter do you have?

When was the filter last backwashed/cart changed?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

i am not sure how long it has been because we are new pool owners. how often should the pump be back washed? is the cart the filter? i have a pentair fns plus and the pool is 22833 gallons.
    Covina, CA.

4. Back To Top    #4

"Cart" refers to a cartridge in a cartridge filter. Since yours is DE, you will backwash to clean it. Since you are new to the pool and there was debris shooting out, you may want to do a manual clean of your DE filter. Instructions can be found in the manual here: http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... ers-61.htm.

Once it is all clean and re-charged with DE, look at the pressure gauge. You will want to backwash and re-charge with DE whenever the pressure rises by 25% of this pressure when clean.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

5. Back To Top    #5

awesome the link looks like it will definitely help. i appreciate your input, i will have more questions to come.
    thanks again
    Covina, CA.

6. Back To Top    #6

Slightly off topic, but related:

Do you have a good test kit and how are you taking care of your pool chemically?

If you could put your pool info in your signature, it would help. Use the User Control Panel to do this. Also, your location would be a good idea, as sometimes that makes a difference on advice given here. Nearest large city is close enough.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

how often should i back wash my pump?

15'x37' 22833 gallons inground pool pentair fns plus, covina, ca.
    Covina, CA.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You will want to backwash and re-charge with DE whenever the pressure rises by 25% of this pressure when clean.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

cool good to know, so if the psi does not exceed 25 the pump will not have to be back washed.
    Covina, CA.

10. Back To Top    #10

Maybe - if the PSI of your filter is 20 immediately after cleaning.
    In general, what he is saying that that you clean your filter and note the pressure in PSI.
    As the filter starts to get more and more dirty the pressure will rise because it will be harder to pump water through the dirt in the filter.
    So, let's say your PSI when the filter is clean is 10 PSI.
    You should backwash when the PSI is 25% more then the clean PSI.
    10 x .25 = 2.5. So, if your clean PSI is 10, then you should backwash when the PSI goes above 12.5

If you clean PSI is 20 then 20 x .25 = 5 so you would backwash when your filter goes above 25 PSI.

Make sense? Did you clean your filter yet? If so, what was the PSI immediately after cleaning?
    26.7K gal. vinyl (16x38 - 8ft deep end), 1 HP Centurion pump, 300 lb Sta-Rite Sand Filter, Blue Sapphire cleaning robot, TF100 Test Kit