Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not sure if testing right

1. Back To Top    #1

Not sure if testing right

Had to SLAM pool this week bad algae problem. Anyway Last night i do a test before I go to bed to do the overnight test and I get a FC=32.5. Being the clean freak my wife is she accidentally throws the paper out with my reading on it. Instead of going through the trash I figure I will just do a new test. So my next reading is FC=34. Then my curiosity gets the best of me because I wasn't sure the two numbers were the same and I get the paper out of the trash. So now with two different numbers I said what the heck and did another test. Well this one comes in at FC=35. So here is the real question is there a margin of error in these test or am I doing something wrong ( followed directions exactly ).
    5000 gal 15 ft round AGP, 1.5 HP Heyward pump and sand filter, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not sure if testing right

Are you adding drops until the last drop makes no change?
    The numbers you got are close enough to be considered the same.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I want to do the OCLT so what number should I use so I can test in the morning.

4. Back To Top    #4

How long did you let the water mix before taking the readings?

John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

If your asking how long I mixed the water and the powder before I added the drops I would say about 2-3 minutes.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry, should have been more specific. How long did you let the pool water mix after your last chlorine addition before taking the test?

John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are the Extended Test Kit Directions that go into a bit more detail on the testing procedures.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Every test has a margin of error. The FAS-DPD test with Taylor reagents (K-2006 and TF-100 both use Taylor reagents) can be off by up to 10%, so like Bama Rambler said, those values are all within the accuracy of the test. They are the same.

If you have clear water and CC at 0.5 or less and are within 1ppm of the lowest resulting FC value (32.5) in the morning, try letting your FC fall below 15, and then repeat the OCLT just to confirm.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

9. Back To Top    #9

My pump has been running 24/7 and my last dose of chlorine was at around 4 pm and did test around 8-830 pm. Will do test again when it drops to 15. Tested it tonight ( 8:30) and got a reading of TC=29 without adding any chlorine today. Going to do OCLT test tomorrow morning anyway figure it won't hurt anything. BTW CC is below .5 and pool is CRYSTAL clear (looks the best it has ever). Thanks for all the input.

10. Back To Top    #10

I meant FC=29