What does one get after using Leslie Pool pucks for years?..

Hawk

Aug 9, 2011
Southern California
He get's to buy a pump and discharge hose and drain his pool in the middle of summer... :whoot:

Had enough of 200+ CYA readings and the subsequent juggling to maintain high chlorine numbers just to keep the pool in check.
I have clear blue water, but anytime the FC would get below 9 or 10 I would get a yellowish algae on the south side of the pool wall. CC would only read .5 or less (nearly undetectable). I test using a Taylor (#2006) FAS-DPD kit

I switched away from pucks to liquid chlorine exclusively about a month ago after becoming informed here at TFP as what was really going on with my water. Problem is the CYA is off the chart. Partly due to my ignorance of what that many years from using pucks will do. Was going to ride it out till winter, but I'm tired of pouring bottles and bottles chlorine in and still losing the fight.

I think I know the answer. but would it be wise to clean the DE filter prior to start up with the fresh water? I had just cleaned it about a month or two ago.

Re: What does one get after using Leslie Pool pucks for year

I wouldn't bother cleaning the filter. Just drain and refill. I started off with 220-240ish CYA and couldn;t drain it - remember the water restrictions a few years back? I was testing using FAS-DPD every time and maintaining 20 FC or so and never sure of my pH results, either. My salvation came with winter rains and a raingutter downspout diverted into the pool. Actually, into the spa, which acted as a settling basin for most of the silt, and then into the pool.

It's much easier to maintain with lower CYA.

I had same problem with previous owner/service. I drained half and refilled, checked it, then redrained 1/3 and refilled. Much easier with cya of 40-50. That was a year ago before serious water restrictions.

If I just backwash without breaking it down again (last time I actually installed all new grids (SMBW2060)), would I use less DE to load the grids back up? Or use the full recommended amount?

Going to go ahead a do a full dump. Was going to do a partial, then re-check CYA, but decided not to and just get it done.

If you cleaned well last time a month or so ago, I'd just backwash and add what manufacturer recommends (about 80% of full DE amount). I switched from DE to a fiber product and am happy with it, but either work well.

I bought a this pump from Harbor Freight and a 25 foot discharge line. With a 20% off coupon it cost me $44 and I can use it again if needed. With it running, it completely fills two 4 inch pipes running under my deck all the way out through the curb onto the street, one on each side of the house. Any more capacity and I'd flood my yard and run down my back slope to the lower neighbors house. Not a good thing as I'm sure he doesn't want my CYA enhanced water in his pool... :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.