Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What does one get after using Leslie Pool pucks for years?..

1. Back To Top    #1

What does one get after using Leslie Pool pucks for years?..

He get's to buy a pump and discharge hose and drain his pool in the middle of summer...

Had enough of 200+ CYA readings and the subsequent juggling to maintain high chlorine numbers just to keep the pool in check.
    I have clear blue water, but anytime the FC would get below 9 or 10 I would get a yellowish algae on the south side of the pool wall. CC would only read .5 or less (nearly undetectable). I test using a Taylor (#2006) FAS-DPD kit

I switched away from pucks to liquid chlorine exclusively about a month ago after becoming informed here at TFP as what was really going on with my water. Problem is the CYA is off the chart. Partly due to my ignorance of what that many years from using pucks will do. Was going to ride it out till winter, but I'm tired of pouring bottles and bottles chlorine in and still losing the fight.

I think I know the answer. but would it be wise to clean the DE filter prior to start up with the fresh water? I had just cleaned it about a month or two ago.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What does one get after using Leslie Pool pucks for year

I assume you broke it down and cleaned it. Since you cleaned it a couple months ago I would just backwash it once you have the new water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't bother cleaning the filter. Just drain and refill. I started off with 220-240ish CYA and couldn;t drain it - remember the water restrictions a few years back? I was testing using FAS-DPD every time and maintaining 20 FC or so and never sure of my pH results, either. My salvation came with winter rains and a raingutter downspout diverted into the pool. Actually, into the spa, which acted as a settling basin for most of the silt, and then into the pool.

It's much easier to maintain with lower CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I had same problem with previous owner/service. I drained half and refilled, checked it, then redrained 1/3 and refilled. Much easier with cya of 40-50. That was a year ago before serious water restrictions.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

If I just backwash without breaking it down again (last time I actually installed all new grids (SMBW2060)), would I use less DE to load the grids back up? Or use the full recommended amount?

Going to go ahead a do a full dump. Was going to do a partial, then re-check CYA, but decided not to and just get it done.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you cleaned well last time a month or so ago, I'd just backwash and add what manufacturer recommends (about 80% of full DE amount). I switched from DE to a fiber product and am happy with it, but either work well.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

Rent a big honda pump at home depot !!! Drained my 30k gal. Pool in 4 hours .
    You can make it a quick 2 day drain and fill .
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

8. Back To Top    #8

I bought a this pump from Harbor Freight and a 25 foot discharge line. With a 20% off coupon it cost me $44 and I can use it again if needed. With it running, it completely fills two 4 inch pipes running under my deck all the way out through the curb onto the street, one on each side of the house. Any more capacity and I'd flood my yard and run down my back slope to the lower neighbors house. Not a good thing as I'm sure he doesn't want my CYA enhanced water in his pool...