Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do not want algae, ever

1. Back To Top    #1

Do not want algae, ever

I have posted my learning process elsewhere. Changing to BBB from Trichlor pucks. In spite of high CYA, 160, in spite of my ignorance for the past 5 years since I bought this house with pool, I have not had algae that I know of. But now since this site has made me more anal about my water I have a question. My pebbletec pool shows no signs of algae, not at waterline or walls or floor. Nothing else in pool except a light, no ladders or slides. But what I do have is 5 or 6 dark spots about the size of a quarter, one the size of a small saucer, on the bottom of the pebbletc. They do not respond to nylon brushing. Any concern it is algae? Since I have never had it I almost do not know what to look for. Hopefully having kept my FC at 10-12 (luck only) kept troubles away.

CH. 650
    TA 110
    PH 7.5
    FC. 12
    CC. 0
    TC. 12
    CYA. 160
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do not want algae, ever

Can you post a pic of the dark spots? In the meantime, try rubbing a trichlor tab on one of the spots for about a minute. If the stain fades, then it is organic. If not, try holding/rubbing a Vitamin C tablet on the stain for at least a minute. If the stain fades, then it is a metal stain. Report back on what you find.

BTW, if your CYA is still 160, you will need to drain and refill a substantial amount of your water. But first, let's make sure the spots you are referring to are not caused by metals. If they are, there is a treatment you would do before the drain & refill that will also remove any metals.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I will see if pictures work,probably next weekend. The former owners used Pool Frog, and ozonator and a magnetic device but no metals I know of. Most of the spots are in the deep end, hard to apply a puck or Vitamin C to them. Maybe I will try a light wire brushing, will that hurt pebbletec?

Yes, I know for many reasons a drain is in order. But will wait for winter as it is 95-105 here this time of year and dilution is more costly if I bring it down a little at a time. Will try and coare cost of water to cost of bleach. Will pick up 15 jugs of 81 oz bleach at local Lowes tomorow, probalby 6% but still good price for over 1/2 gallon.
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe the Pool Frog does in fact use metals. Have you ever had your pool water tested for metals? I think the pool store usually gets this test right.

John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

I will get it tested. But I have not used the Pool Frog in 4 1/2 years. I may be over worried, the stains are small

6. Back To Top    #6

There are several possibilities for the dark spots. Some possibilities:

1) Black algae
    2) Copper stains
    3) Gunite showing through thin plaster.

If you do use a wire brush, make sure that it is a good stainless steel model made for pool use. Regular steel bristles tend to break off and cause rust stains in the pool.

In your area, there is probably a reverse osmosis service available.
    http://www.tucsonwatertreatment.com/Services
    http://jspsi.poolhelp.com/ARTICLES/JSPS ... p21-24.pdf

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, will consider reverse osmosis. Will have to balance cost vs. drain and refill. From what I read RO costs $400-500

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The pool frog does use copper. If you haven't done any major water changes since it's been used there is still copper in the water, especially if they used it for a long time.

I would strongly consider the RO treatment. It is costly but will remove the CYA, CH, and copper from your water. Then you can adjust your CYA and CH to where you need them and never have to worry about the copper again.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I appreciate all the comments, but if it is residual copper stains and only 4 or 5 small patches it won't get any worse as the Pool Frog has been gone for 5 years. As long as it is not algae

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a pebble sheen finish that has a few dark spots as well. The spots got worse when I tried the vitamin C tablets so be carefull if you go that route. There is another poster that had the same results. After the vitamin C tabs made things worse I tried a nice SS brush and pouring MA down a PVC tube directly on the stains and tried a metal removing method. Nothing has changed the stains. I'm not sold on the metal removal method I tried so I'm going to revisit it and use something different next time. If that doesnt work I think the only thing left is to try an acid wash. I'll try and find my post which has pics in it, that way you can compare and maybe we can get to the bottom of it.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is the link to that thread.
    stains-on-pebble-sheen-after-vitamin-c-t43776.html
    2' Powerfall

12. Back To Top    #12

That is exactly what my stains look like! They do not seem to be getting worse, are yours?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    That is exactly what my stains look like! They do not seem to be getting worse, are yours?
    No they have not changed since I put the vitamin C tabs on them.
    2' Powerfall

14. Back To Top    #14

I am thinking there is no way this is black algae as it does not seem to change. My plan is to monitor and if I see no change I will presume it is some ancient unknown stain and forget about it. What do you think, Shane 1?

15. Back To Top    #15

Mine is 100% NOT black algae, I would bet yours is not black algae. I plan on trying another type of copper remover as my water did test positive for it. Plus since they got worse after the vitamin C application my money is on copper. If the copper remover doesnt help I'll probably call pebble tech and see if they can help. Worst case fix is an acid wash.
    2' Powerfall