Chlorinator with Chlorine Tabs & Cal Hypo Shock? Dangerous?

Re: Chlorinator with Chlorine Tabs & Cal Hypo Shock? Dangero

No. You can add cal-hypo to the pool water while using tablets in the feeder. Just don't add cal-hypo into the feeder with the tablets together.

Oh Ok thanks. I know you guys don't recommend putting the Cal Hypo though the Skimmer, but if I add one bag is it really that bad? Is that dangerous? The reason is, the last time I used Cal Hypo I mixed it with Water in a Bucket first & poured it in & my pool water turned very Cloudy. I figure through the skimmer, it will mix in a lot better. Am I wrong? Thanks.

I would not suggest the skimmer ... what if some of it did not dissolve and made it into the chlorinator with the trichlor?

Why are you still using all the solid forms of chlorine? Likely this would be less confusing if you kept your posts together.

Ok. No skimmer. ACE Hardware ran out of Chlorine & it's 94 Degrees here. So my FC was Low. I could go to Lowes but was just being lazy. I usually use 10% Chlorine, 5 Gallons a Week.
2.5 Gallons every 3-4 days.That & a half Gallon of Muriatic Acid keeps my numbers in check. I use to have a high CYA of 131, but I now have it down to 37.
As far as keeping my Posts together, I'm not sure what you mean. If it's a different Topic, I always start a new Post.
I have done that in the many Forums I am a member of. Should I keep one Post only & continue all my new questions on that one original post?
Seems confusing to me. I know you are just trying to know my Pools History. And that makes sense, but I would be asking questions on a Post's Title that had nothing to do with the subject title.
Please explain. I would like to follow the rules, I'm just not sure how.
Thanks again.

If at all related keep the posts together. Maybe I was confused and it was someone else that recently asked about using cal-hypo and not you, thus leading to my comment.

Yea I have not asked about Cal-Hypo in months. So judging by my last Post, does it all make sense to you? The amount of Chlorine & Muriatic Acid I am using Weekly? Does that seem like a huge amount of chemicals to keep my Test numbers in check? One other question. About how many Gallons of 10% Chlorine would it take to Shock my Pool of 28.000 Gallons? Again, I'm already using 5 Gallons just to maintain Free Chlorine.

Back in the olden days before I found this great site, I used pucks in the skimmer and shocked each week with dichlor through the skimmer. I usually found undissolved dichlor in the bottom of my cartridge filter housing because some found its way there, and there's not enough water flow in the corners, etc. to dissolve it. Found it was more efficient to dissolve it in water then add. Now that I am enlightened, using 12½% bleach in the return stream, haven't shocked in three years except for spring opening. Used up the pucks as I needed to bring up CYA here and there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Unfortunately, that is not my situation. I have Steps where Algae seems to grow under. They ignorantly made these steps from a hard Plastic, but underneath each step, there is like 15 little square crevices where Algae manages to get into. Ridiculous design, but it's the steps I have. I usually try scratching it out with my fingernails but I never get it all. So I need to really shock this to kill every stray bit of Algae that exists.

You are letting the FC drop too low, with CYA of 37 never let the FC drop below 3. You are not using an excessive amount of chlorine right now, but you are not keeping it high enough and you do have algae in a stubborn spot. I would raise the FC up to 10 and run an OCLT at that level to see if you pass.

It might be a local area that doesn't get enough circulation and the algae is able to grow on the steps. You might try adding some of the chlorine in that area each day and brushing in that area each time to see if that can eliminate the algae in that area.

Ping, Thank you. I had no idea the FC should not get under 3. I had been waiting until it gets to 1, before adding Liquid Chlorine in the past. Yea it's in the deep end spot. I always add the chlorine right by the steps but Some days we don't get in the Pool so I guess the water does not circulate well in the deep end. It's a big Pool. What is an OCLT? Sorry. I don't know!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.