Algae in pool and I have no CYA

Iwilk

Jun 18, 2013
Louisville, KY
Not sure what to do. I have CYA to add to pool but should I just go through the shock process? I know I need to be vacuuming and back washing while shocking but I can't backwash if I add CYA. Should I just start the shock process. I know I will be adding gobs of bleach with zero CYA. Water is clear but there are a few splotches of green on pool floor.

Iwilk said:
Not sure what to do. I have CYA to add to pool but should I just go through the shock process? I know I need to be vacuuming and back washing while shocking but I can't backwash if I add CYA. Should I just start the shock process. I know I will be adding gobs of bleach with zero CYA. Water is clear but there are a few splotches of green on pool floor.
This is why we recommend tying the CYA granules up in a sock or nylon and suspending it in front of a return, or just let it bob around dangling off a float of sorts. Then you can backwash without losing the granules.

You really need some CYA in the pool, or the sun will degrade the bleach before it gets a chance to work on the green stuff. Target about 30 CYA during the SLAM, and raise it later.

2013-05-22220453.jpg

Ok thanks. I posted several weeks ago about having trouble getting CYA in my pool. I honestly think the bottle I bought was bad because I added the entire bottle over a month using the socks and still couldn't get it up. Thus now the algae! I just vacuumed and back washed yesterday so I guess I will add CYA and not backwash for a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.