Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae in pool and I have no CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae in pool and I have no CYA

Not sure what to do. I have CYA to add to pool but should I just go through the shock process? I know I need to be vacuuming and back washing while shocking but I can't backwash if I add CYA. Should I just start the shock process. I know I will be adding gobs of bleach with zero CYA. Water is clear but there are a few splotches of green on pool floor.
    21ft round Doughboy AG, 9,300 gallons
    22 inch ClearWater Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Power Flo Matrix Pump
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae in pool and I have no CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Iwilk
    Not sure what to do. I have CYA to add to pool but should I just go through the shock process? I know I need to be vacuuming and back washing while shocking but I can't backwash if I add CYA. Should I just start the shock process. I know I will be adding gobs of bleach with zero CYA. Water is clear but there are a few splotches of green on pool floor.
    This is why we recommend tying the CYA granules up in a sock or nylon and suspending it in front of a return, or just let it bob around dangling off a float of sorts. Then you can backwash without losing the granules.

You really need some CYA in the pool, or the sun will degrade the bleach before it gets a chance to work on the green stuff. Target about 30 CYA during the SLAM, and raise it later.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks. I posted several weeks ago about having trouble getting CYA in my pool. I honestly think the bottle I bought was bad because I added the entire bottle over a month using the socks and still couldn't get it up. Thus now the algae! I just vacuumed and back washed yesterday so I guess I will add CYA and not backwash for a week.
    21ft round Doughboy AG, 9,300 gallons
    22 inch ClearWater Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Power Flo Matrix Pump
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

so I guess I will add CYA and not backwash for a week.
    You will probably need to backwash sooner than that if you SLAM the pool. Put your CYA in a sock and start the SLAM process.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School