First Post Pool Pilot Digital issues

Aug 3, 2013
Hello, new to this forum but have already found great information. First Pool info stats. IG plaster 16 years old 20K gal. Converted to SWG in 2007 installing the Pool Pilot Digital and a Pentair Intelleflow pump. Pump and PPD are powered 24/7 as pump runs on schedule. I have read here NOT to leave Pool Pilot Digital powered on in this manor. How bad is it to do so?? I have a SC-60 cell on the system and it is the original.

The reason I found this forum was searching for answers to the check system light alway being on and the message to check salt level or clean cell. I did clean the cell, it had what I would call a medium build up of calcium on both ends. The cell shows wear in that the middle two plates are shorter than the others. My system used to run on power level 1 at 50-75% and be fine but now it is on power level 2 100% all the time. It is generating but having to work hard to do so it appears. When I run system test I usually see 17 or 18v at about 3.5 amps.
After reading up here I powered it down and took of the cover and found the 4 capacitors bulging and discolored on the end. I have ordered replacements and expect them this coming week. I did order higher voltage and temp rated caps as I am in Southern California dessert climate and regularly hits 100. Everything else on the board looked good. I am a technician and have had to replace caps in my Plasma TV to fix the power supply in it as well. Sure saves money when you can do some of this stuff on your own!

I guess the next step is to put the caps in when I receive them and see how it works after that. I may then need to replace the cell as it is 6 years old. How long can they run if not driven really hard?? I run my pool low and slow which is about 14 hrs a day. This flow gets me a full water turn and is the most efficient flow on the pump for electricity usage and allows me to run the cell at a lower rate at least until recently that is.
Thanks for any input you all may have on my situation.

Welcome to TFP!

17 volts and 3.5 amps is very suggestive of a power supply problem, which fits with the capacitors looking bad. You should be able to get everything going again by replacing the capacitors.

An SC-60 cell could easily last 10 years, or more, on that pool. You can get a rough ideal of how far into your cell lifetime you are by checking the total amp/hours in the diagnostic display. The cell should be good for roughly 60,000 amp/hours.

The check salt indication may be unrelated, or it may be fixed when the capacitors are replaced. If it doesn't go away when everything else gets fixed you can explore that further.

By the by, it is very unlikely that you really need 14 hours of pump runtime, even on a very low speed. Most pools can get by with 4 to 6 hours of pump run time. Number of turnovers is not a consideration, just a rule of thumb for guessing at a run time when you don't have any other information.

Well, today I got the caps in the mail from Digikey so I went to work replacing them. About an hour later had the system back up and running with no more Check or clean cell error. Yea!! Can someone tell me how to get into the diagnostic menu so I can see how many hours are on the cell. I searched the manual and can't locate what you speak of.
Thanks

I am pretty sure you can, from the top menu, hold the menu button for about 60 or 90 sec to get into the Service or Diagnostic Menu. It is a very long hold, not sure of the exact amount of time.

Mr Brent, No press and hold of the button needed for what you're looking for. Press the MENU button. Wait a few seconds and the display will show TEST POOL PILOT. Press SELECT and it will go through the diagnostics.
If you want to zero out the Amp-Hr meter, go to the Maintenance Menu.
Press MENU, wait a few seconds then press ARROW DOWN to MAINTENANCE MENU, then press SELECT.
Press arrow DOWN to REPLACE CELL, then press SELECT. I'm not positive, but you may need to press and hold the SELECT button for about 8-10 seconds, the display will say Amp-Hrs = 0.

We only have an Amp-Hr counter. However, if it's always been set to Cell Power X, then you can divide the Amp-hrs by the Cell Power X Amperage = hrs. Keep in mind that this is affected by the overall operating condition, especially if the cell has been scaled up or if the salt level was allowed to drop below 2800 ppm. Cold water temperatures may factor in if you have the RC42 (SC48 cell).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.