Howdy from Texas

Hey Y'all! :wave:

I've been lurking for a few weeks while we've been jumping through hoops working on getting our approval from Oncor. Now we're playing the waiting game with the City of Rowlett, but hope to have our permit to begin installation by the middle of this week. I've wanted a pool for as long as I can remember, but there was always some excuse why we couldn't get one. Mostly that my husband didn't want to spend $50,000 on an inground pool. So when I discovered the Doughboy buried pool program, he couldn't come up with any more excuses. As soon as our permit is approved, we're buying the Doughboy 16'X24' Autumn Breeze OR Copper Canyon. Anyone who has an opinion of one over the other, I would love to hear it. One is Resin and the other is steel. We are having Mendez Pool and Deck do our install and have heard very good things about them, but again, would love to hear from anyone who has any type of experience with them. After going thru Pool School, there's just no way I'd buy chemicals from the pool store, and this is one area, where hubby agrees with me. This pool will be BBB all the way. Thanks so much for all the great information on the site. I've gotten so many answers here.

Stay Cool Y'all, it's triple digits in Texas today, so without a pool in the backyard, I'll be inside with the a/c blasting! :)

I would go resin if going in the ground. Also what pump and filter are they pushing. I know the DB dealer in my area trys to push over sized pumps and undersized sand filters. Your mileage may vary but thats what happend to us. I went with a craigslist EC75 de filter. 8 sq ft less than TFP recommends but I found it works good. I clean and backwash every three or so months. Good luck in the build. Oh and you should know by now.... get a good test kit like the tf-100 or k2006. :wave:

Welcome aboard fellow DFW-area Texan! :wave:

lauriec62 said:
Do you find that you use your pool as much now as you did when you first got it?
Yes, absolutely. It's a big part of my workout routine, but I do make time for pool parties and just chillin' on the floating lounge like I did today while keeping an eye on the brisket I was smoking.

I am usually the first person in my neighborhood that starts the swim season, usually around St. Patrick's Day when the water hits 65°F. This year got off to a very late start with the cold spring we had - didn't get going until late-April. Likewise, I'm the last man in come the fall.

Thanks for the welcome, BoDarville. I've been doing a little online research lately about water aerobics and workouts in the pool. There's no way I'm working out in August in Texas, unless it's in a cool, sparkling swimming pool.

I'm also the Smokemeister and grillmaster in this family and smoked an 8 lb. pork butt this weekend on my Great Outdoors Smoker for some tasty pulled pork. Nothing compares to Texas BBQ.

As excited as we are about getting this pool in, I just can't imagine the new wearing off anytime soon either.

lauriec62 said:
I'm also the Smokemeister and grillmaster in this family and smoked an 8 lb. pork butt this weekend on my Great Outdoors Smoker for some tasty pulled pork. Nothing compares to Texas BBQ.
:goodjob:

The brisket I prepared yesterday was the first one I tried using Myron Mixon's fast-cook method. Just posted my results here: Brisket Prepared Using Myron Mixon's "Power Cooking" Method

BoDarville said:
lauriec62 said:
:goodjob:

The brisket I prepared yesterday was the first one I tried using Myron Mixon's fast-cook method. Just posted my results here: Brisket Prepared Using Myron Mixon's "Power Cooking" Method

That does look like one delicious juicy brisket. Nice smoke ring, too. I have to agree with you where Myron Mixon is concerned, he is one of the BBQ greats and really knows his stuff. I'm bookmarking the link so that the next time I do a brisket, I can try it. Did you use a charcoal or propane smoker?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks BoDarville,

I did a little googling and found the recipe for Myron's Fast-Cook Method. We keep those pans from Sam's in stock in our supply cabinet and have the exact one's you are talking about. I'll definitely be trying this method the next time I smoke a brisket. I will probably be using hickory though, as I have a huge bag of hickory chunks that needs to be used. Anytime there's less clean-up, I'm all in! :)