Hayward Pump problem

moboyz

May 7, 2013
Came home from vacation to a crystal clear pool :-D , but the pump was making a loud screeching noise. When I turned it to low, it was still loud, but not screeching so I turned it off. Today I cleaned out baskets and backwashed filters. When I turned it on, it filled no problem but once it was completely full and I closed filter valve, the screeching noise started again but not as loud. Gauge reads at 10 PSI. Impeller is spinning freely so I'm assuming it's the bearings. However, last year I took the motor in and the bearings were replaced so I was wondering if something else might be going on to cause this problem? The motor is 5 years old. It's a Hayward Super Pump 1.0 HP, 230V, dual speed.

I noticed that just the motor can be replaced vs the whole pump. Am I better off doing this vs having it serviced again?

BTW, earlier this year because of ammonia problems that I had, I switched to BBB method and everything chemically has been fine. Although the Frog is still hooked up, it has an empty chlorine container in it.

Is there something else that could be happening that would cause this problem? I would hate to replace the motor and not the problem. It seems odd that 1-year after having the bearings replaced, we are having an issue again.

Have you checked for signs of leaking/water residue between the wet head and motor? Have you called the place that did the bearing last year to see what kind of warr. they put on it and if they replaced the shaft seal as well?

How many hours/day/week do you run your pump? Where do you live, is it protected from the elements with open space for convection air circulation, or is it out in the open exposed to the sun and other elements?

Can you post a video of the sound?

I'll tell you a story about bearings.

A few decades ago, I needed to replace a couple bearings, was too bored at the time to do it myself and gave it out to a reputable shop with instructions to replace two bearings.

Got it back the same day, along with an invoice for two bearings plus labor, all looked fine.

A couple months later, bearing problem again. This time I wised up and opened up the thing to check it myself, what I found was that the shop only replaced one bearing instead of two, because only one was bad at the time of the repair.

This was not a pool pump, but bearings are bearings and the only way to be sure is if you do the job yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
y_not said:
Have you checked for signs of leaking/water residue between the wet head and motor? Have you called the place that did the bearing last year to see what kind of warr. they put on it and if they replaced the shaft seal as well?

How many hours/day/week do you run your pump? Where do you live, is it protected from the elements with open space for convection air circulation, or is it out in the open exposed to the sun and other elements?

Can you post a video of the sound?

Talked to motor guy and he said there's no warranty. He said he replaced bearings with "better bearings" and sometimes they last several years, but sometimes they only go a year depending on exposure. Admittedly, it is not very well protected. We run the pump on high about 8 hours and on low for 16. Not sure about the shaft seal. It's $144 to have it repaired and I found the motor on Amazon for $257 -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IN ... PDKIKX0DER

Now I know we have to replace the seal, but I'm not sure which seal kit I'm supposed to order:

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VT ... PDKIKX0DER

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX1600SK ... m_sbs_lg_4

Please advise.

Also, is there anything I can do to help "protect" the motor? It is on the side of the house that gets the most sun and exposure to the elements. Anything I should be doing annually to maintain it?

I know there are little covers that sit over the motor to block the sun and rain. I have never used one, though may consider it if I do not put a roof over my equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.