Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Pump problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Pump problem

Came home from vacation to a crystal clear pool , but the pump was making a loud screeching noise. When I turned it to low, it was still loud, but not screeching so I turned it off. Today I cleaned out baskets and backwashed filters. When I turned it on, it filled no problem but once it was completely full and I closed filter valve, the screeching noise started again but not as loud. Gauge reads at 10 PSI. Impeller is spinning freely so I'm assuming it's the bearings. However, last year I took the motor in and the bearings were replaced so I was wondering if something else might be going on to cause this problem? The motor is 5 years old. It's a Hayward Super Pump 1.0 HP, 230V, dual speed.

I noticed that just the motor can be replaced vs the whole pump. Am I better off doing this vs having it serviced again?

BTW, earlier this year because of ammonia problems that I had, I switched to BBB method and everything chemically has been fine. Although the Frog is still hooked up, it has an empty chlorine container in it.
    20,000 gallons vinyl, I/G, 4 cartridge filtrs, 2 HP dual speed Hayward Super Pump, Pool Frog XL Pro automatic chlorinator (trichlor tabs), built 2008, Phantom auto cleaner (rarely used)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Pump problem

If it costs half as much to repair the motor as it does to replace it, then it's probably better to replace it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We will likely replace it then. In the meantime, is it ok to keep it running while waiting for the new motor or could it cause more damage somewhere else?
    20,000 gallons vinyl, I/G, 4 cartridge filtrs, 2 HP dual speed Hayward Super Pump, Pool Frog XL Pro automatic chlorinator (trichlor tabs), built 2008, Phantom auto cleaner (rarely used)

4. Back To Top    #4

Any suggestions for reliable online pump motor retailer?

5. Back To Top    #5

I would run it a little each day to keep the FC up and the pool circulated.

Just do a search for the one you need and pick the best deal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow my first superpump lasted about 18yrs second one has been running great for 6 years now. Im surprised at your pump failure. My experience with them is they are built like tanks
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

7. Back To Top    #7

Is there something else that could be happening that would cause this problem? I would hate to replace the motor and not the problem. It seems odd that 1-year after having the bearings replaced, we are having an issue again.

8. Back To Top    #8

A common cause of repeat bearing failure is using poor quality bearings and/or not installing a new seal or not installing it correctly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you checked for signs of leaking/water residue between the wet head and motor? Have you called the place that did the bearing last year to see what kind of warr. they put on it and if they replaced the shaft seal as well?

How many hours/day/week do you run your pump? Where do you live, is it protected from the elements with open space for convection air circulation, or is it out in the open exposed to the sun and other elements?

Can you post a video of the sound?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

10. Back To Top    #10

I'll tell you a story about bearings.

A few decades ago, I needed to replace a couple bearings, was too bored at the time to do it myself and gave it out to a reputable shop with instructions to replace two bearings.

Got it back the same day, along with an invoice for two bearings plus labor, all looked fine.

A couple months later, bearing problem again. This time I wised up and opened up the thing to check it myself, what I found was that the shop only replaced one bearing instead of two, because only one was bad at the time of the repair.

This was not a pool pump, but bearings are bearings and the only way to be sure is if you do the job yourself.
    Don´t be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    Have you checked for signs of leaking/water residue between the wet head and motor? Have you called the place that did the bearing last year to see what kind of warr. they put on it and if they replaced the shaft seal as well?

How many hours/day/week do you run your pump? Where do you live, is it protected from the elements with open space for convection air circulation, or is it out in the open exposed to the sun and other elements?

Can you post a video of the sound?

Talked to motor guy and he said there's no warranty. He said he replaced bearings with "better bearings" and sometimes they last several years, but sometimes they only go a year depending on exposure. Admittedly, it is not very well protected. We run the pump on high about 8 hours and on low for 16. Not sure about the shaft seal. It's $144 to have it repaired and I found the motor on Amazon for $257 -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IN ... PDKIKX0DER

Now I know we have to replace the seal, but I'm not sure which seal kit I'm supposed to order:

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VT ... PDKIKX0DER

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX1600SK ... m_sbs_lg_4

Please advise.

Also, is there anything I can do to help "protect" the motor? It is on the side of the house that gets the most sun and exposure to the elements. Anything I should be doing annually to maintain it?

12. Back To Top    #12

I know there are little covers that sit over the motor to block the sun and rain. I have never used one, though may consider it if I do not put a roof over my equipment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!