mustard algae?

Aug 3, 2013
Cooperstown, NY
hi brand new user...have read pool school ...ordered tf100 kit today but onlyy have test strips given us from pool store, so my numbers are probably useless CH 0, TOTAL CL 10+ , FREE CL DARKER PURPLE THAN TOP OF 20PPM, PH ALL OVER THE PLACE, TA 100 CYA 0.
We filled our pool from our pond, it appears we have mustard algae, can i start some treatment before my test kit arrives? our water is clear but yellowish tint...yellow almost rusty looking grime forming on walls and little piles of same on floor, definitely not pollen, vac and scrubbed off yesterday back this am.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

There is not much that you want to do before your kit arrives, test numbers are crucial to getting it right. The only thing I would think is a good addition is stabilizer, but only if you haven't added anything containing stabilizer yet. Have you added anything to the pool at all? If not then your CYA is actually zero in which case I hope that your chlorine level isn't actually above 20... That you can adjust while you wait for your test kit. Also if you can get a decent reading on your pH you can adjust that a bit with either muriatic acid to reduce it or borax to increase it. After those adjustments you could work on putting your pool in kind of a holding pattern until the kit arrives.

The rusty tint sounds more like an iron problem than mustard algae. Is there a chance you have iron in your fill water?

I hate making assumptions so forgive me for asking, the "shock" was liquid, correct?

Even with backwashing the CYA probably mostly dissolved, do you know how much was put in? If you know that we can guesstimate your CYA level and you can add a small amount of chlorine to try to prevent further growth. You want to hold off any major adjustments or SLAMing until you get your kit and accurate test results.

our water is clear but yellowish tint...yellow almost rusty looking grime forming on walls and little piles of same on floor, definitely not pollen, vac and scrubbed off yesterday back this am
Despite the pool stores test, that is almost surely iron in your pool water from the well.

Keep vacuuming it out every day.

Until your test kit gets to you, I would suggest you add roughly 1 gallon of Clorox each evening. That should keep algae at bay until you can post some meaningful test results.

ok update: received tf 100 test kit
results were all pretty good chlorine was high enough where i was probably slamming it the whole time while waiting for the kit. I left alone and monitored chlorine a couple of days . yesterdays test results FC 4.5, CC 1.5, TA 120, CYA between 30 AND 40, ph 7.3. I then read a bunch of posts on this forum and decided a slam couldnt hurt so started one yesterday..... i'll attach pics of the stuff forming on our skimmer lid and a shot of the yellow tinted water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 91

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.