Pump output pipe leaking

In order to size the pump correctly we need all the information you can give us about the spa. It will be the driving force for size as it requires a lot more flow than the pool needs.

Since Mark (mas985) is the hydraulic guru, it would probably be a good idea to pm him and ask for his input.

Here is some information about the spa. Let me know if I can provide other information that might be helpful.

The spa has 4 jets that are driven by a separate pump (also currently not functioning).

It has two returns that are fed by the pool pump (the one I am trying to replace) for filtration, pool pump circulation, and heat (gas heater, also currently not functioning).

It is ~41 inches deep, ~70 inches from side to side, and ~52 inches from front to back (at its widest point).

Here's an overhead view:

215491.jpg

Yesterday I picked up an imPower RB003 5SME29DFT001 (3-speed) from Leslie's on clearance for about $300. It appeared to be potentially a good deal, and I can return it if it's a less than optimal replacement for the pool pump motor. I will wait for some thoughts here before deciding whether to install it. It is 1 HP with a 1.25 SF, so 1.25 SFHP, vs the current motor (Marathon 5KC39UN6086X) which I believe to be 1.65 SFHP.

If you have a separate jet pump, then you can pretty much down size as much as you want to. But if you do downsize, you will need to get both a motor and impeller. So if you use the imPower, you will need a smaller impeller. The full rated 3/4 HP (1 HP uprated) should be fine.

If you have a separate jet pump, then you can pretty much down size as much as you want to. But if you do downsize, you will need to get both a motor and impeller. So if you use the imPower, you will need a smaller impeller. The full rated 3/4 HP (1 HP uprated) should be fine.

Thanks, Mark, I appreciate the help.

I am trying to determine what the impeller I need is. The existing impeller is a C105-137PEB--which looks like it was sized correctly for the old motor (1 HP full rated / 1.5 HP up rated). Would I get a C105-138PEB since that appears to be sized for the 1.25 SFHP Dura Glas models--or C105-138PEBA since that is the version they use for the two-speed models? I'm not sure how the multi-speed factors into the equation.

Do I also need a new diffuser or is the larger diffuser okay? I understand from the manual that I do need a new pump seal.

It should be one size smaller than what you have now so it should be the C105-138PEB. Speed makes no difference to the impeller. The different part number could be because a different type of motor was used so I would stick with the same line.

It should be one size smaller than what you have now so it should be the C105-138PEB. Speed makes no difference to the impeller. The different part number could be because a different type of motor was used so I would stick with the same line.
Great. I found a place that has the C105-138PEB locally; I will pick that up along with the shaft seal and get this motor installed tonight (barring heavy rain). I cannot wait to get this pool cleared up. Thanks everybody for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you the pump/line is 240v, it doesn't matter which goes to which terminal.
Great, it is a double breaker in the house so I assume it is 240. The pump says 240 and no one at the store said anything about it not being compatible.

One more thing, on the seal, the rubber side of the ceramic piece faces the motor, the ceramic side makes contact with the hard (carbon?) side of the spring that sticks out, and the flat side of the spring piece faces the wet assembly? I should have taken pictures when I took things apart, I know.

Thanks again!!

The ceramic piece goes into the motor mounting plate first and then the carbon spring piece goes on the shaft after that carbon facing ceramic and then the impeller is installed last. Remember not to touch the carbon or the ceramic.

Hmm... Well I'm sure I had previously touched the carbon and the ceramic at some point (before I even posted my previous message). It didn't seem like the store was too careful not to touch them either. I did wipe them down with alcohol right before installing, but it's possible I touched them again when I was lubricating the rubber on the ceramic piece. What I was and wasn't supposed to lubricate was not abundantly clear in the literature that came in the box. So, I put them in the configuration you described, with the ceramic and carbon abutting each other. Is that right?

I now have the pump running. It is pretty neat, nice and quiet. I have to mess with the valves and eyes to get the circulation right and see what speed is going to work best for day-to-day use.

I ran out of daylight (and then some), but just before I came in I noticed I was losing water underneath the pump. I am assuming I messed up either the seal, the O ring, or the clamp; or some combination of those. I will investigate some more tomorrow but suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks as always.

Yes, the ceramic and carbon face each other and are the friction surface that creates a seal with the water. This is why they much remain clean. Also, the seal in the motor plate must be fully seated/bottomed or you can have some problems. But hopefully it is just the clamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.