Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I have been using BBB for several years and have been entirely satisfied with the results. I generally follow the simplified FC/CYA chart and do an OTO test and chlorine addition each evening to adjust to the recommended target or slightly above. Depending on sun and bather load, I stay above the minimum recommended FC in the table, but occasionally drop below. My adjustments have always been successful in avoiding any algae problems or even incipient cloudiness. I do the full TF-100 range of tests weekly.

This year I installed the Liquidator. My pool is 20,000 gallons, in full sun (Central New Jersey) with regular use, so I ran the the Liquidator near the top of the range (4), while running my pump 12-14 hrs. per day to keep my FC at target (5 ppm @40 ppm CYA).

As the Summer progressed I found it more difficult to maintain the FC target throughout the day. So, I used my tried and true method of making small manual additions each evening (which worked as well as it had in the past.) Then, I decided to "experiment" (or I just got lazy!) and stopped making manual adjustments. I still do the OTO test each evening and have had to make a few manual additions when sun and grandchildren made it necessary. For the most part, however, I find that running FC at the minimum or even below (down to 2.5 ppm routinely) I still maintain a clean and clear pool. Other than my CYA level, I find myself operating as if I had an SWG.

It seems I read recently of similar experience, but no details. Any explanation or recommendation?

Today's numbers:

FC 5 (pump ran all night - no sun/no load yesterday)
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CYA 40

I think you have a few variables to play with.

• 1. What concentration bleach are you using? Are you using at least 10%?
  • 2. You can adjust the output higher than 4 on the LQ. You might need the higher than suggested/recommended setting by the manufacturer.
  • 3. Since you are in full sun you may benefit from a CYA bump to 50. It may be just the edge you need.
  • 4. Double check your tubing for any kinks and blockages. Does the bleach usage coincide with the results? Basically, if you know that X amount beach should get you X ppm, does it seem to agree?

Just a few thoughts.

OCLT is fine; less than 0.5 ppm.
I use 12.5 % bleach. Bleach usage is pretty much as I would have calculated. (By the way - JohnN in Howell - County Line Hardware in Jackson has 5 gal. 12.5% bleach for about $16)
No kinks; no blockages and "yes", I can jack up the flow to max (5) on the flowmeter, but I always hesitate to run anything at the top of its range (I guess it is a control thing.) MFG. suggests running 3, but that is without regard to pool size, use or conditions.
CYA at 40 works well for me. I have read TFP posts which suggest that the sun-fighting effect of CYA diminishes fairly steadily above 20 ppm. I doubt if raising from 40 to 50 ppm will help much.
Anyway, I don't think I am on the edge of algae - pool is crystal clear and their are no initial signs where algae usually appear (steps, ladder, corners).
I appreciate the helpful tips, but I am pretty sure I am in control through thorough observation. At the first sign (usually a bit of cloudiness rather than visible algae), I will take appropriate action and get back in the recommended range.

My question was "Has anyone had similar experience with the Liquidator at lower than recommended FC levels". I can't be the first, can I? As TFP teaches, we each must know and manage our own pool. However, I would like a little more "data" before I commit long term (or not) to lower FC with the Liquidator.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip on County Line Hardware. I normally get my bleach at Aldi, and any savings would be used up in gas for my truck. However, 12.5% would be much more convenient for me, so I might go there next time. Since your OCLT is fine, it doesn't sound like you have any algae. I don't have a Liquidator, so I can't help. Hope you can figure this out.

Try County Line. Tell Marty I recommended them. 12.5% is most convenient. Just be careful handling the full jug - I have a bleached out pair of Crocs as evidence!

Well...I'm at a loss. Maybe someone else will have a better guess. It looks like you have everything covered. You may just have to become comfortable with a higher setting. :shock:

The only other variable would be an increase in pump run time. That is just not necessary or financial viable. Is your pump a variable speed? If so, are you running it at high enough flow rate?

My pump is single speed, but I can afford to run it a little longer each day. I have been reviewing posts on target FC/CYA range for pools using SWG, which, of course, are different than manual addition BBB. The reasoning for lower FC (and higher CYA) is the continuous nature of the FC addition. Since Liquidator does the same thing albeit without the same conditions in the generator cell, perhaps I am seeing something related, if not exactly the same phenomenon. In any case, I probably should take your advice and push the CYA higher. I plan to keep the "experiment" going and gather empirical evidence (while watching closely for algae-sign). After all, that is how we got to the FC/CYA ratios presented in the first place. Thanks for your interest and help.

For anyone following this post, I think I have the answer from another thread. I am going to stick with the manual dosing numbers to remain entirely safe, as this is the general recommendation among knowledgable folks. So, the liquidator is useful, but in my 20,000 gal. pool (a lot of sunshine and heavy use) it may be just marginal, requiring a manual boost from time to time. Anyone considering buying one should take that into consideration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.