Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help

Hi Can you help me figure out what I need to do. I had algae and shocked the pool, now I have high Chlorine, TA 0, PH lower than 6.4.
    Do I get the PH up first or the TA? and what do you recommend I use. I have a 9000ltr pool.
    25k gal, gunite, intelichlor swg, sand filter, 1.5 hp

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Need Help

What you need to do is read Pool School and familiarize yourself with using regular house hold items to run your pool. Order a test kit (TF100 or a K2006) because you will need it. And also get your pH up to atleast 7.2 by using borax.

You're going to have to read Pool School though.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

You need soda ash. It raises both TA and pH. You can use the pool calculator to figure out how much to add. If you can't find soda ash or washing soda you can use baking soda to raise the TA and borax to raise the pH. Add about half of what the pool calculator says and retest after an hour.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina

If TA is zero, use borax and raise pH first. Once pH is in the low 7's, retest TA.

You may or may not need to adjust TA once pH is in line.

Use the PoolCalculator and go slow on the doses. Start with half recommended dose and ease into the pH correction.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK I have calculated what I need to raise the ph 2 1/2 kilos of Borax which I can get from ebay or 1.2 kilo's of Washing soda or soda ash. Now I can get washing soda from the local supermarket much cheaper than borax. So I will go get some of the washing soda I will use 1/2 the quantity first, how long should I wait until I test the water again?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Mexico, MO

Give it an hour with the pump running before testing again.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

You may be able to find borax in the laundry aisle at the grocery or discount store. It's branded as 20 MULE TEAM BORAX. There's a picture of a box of it in this visual encyclopedia: pool-school/visual_encyclopedia
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

8. Back To Top    #8

actually I live in the uk but I like the idea of BBB, so I just need to find similar products in the uk. I don't have such a detailed testing kit and I have search the internet and cannot find one like TF test kit, so I will just have to try and manage.
    Thanks for your help

9. Back To Top    #9
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

post556946.html should help with the test kit.

If Borax is unavailable, use Soda Ash aka pH increaser. We're not adamant about Borax; it's just cheaper (usually) than the pool store products. Be aware that Alkalinity Up -or whatever they choose to call it - is just Baking Soda, which can be bought cheaper at the supermarket.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!