1963 pool resurection

Hey mark (mas985),if you're out there, do you think you could explain or diagram how the bypass valve for the 3" jet spa return works? I am going automated with the easy touch 4 and will add solar later ( have pipes in now though) and am going to be hooking up equipment and plumbing this week. I'm trying to keep it as automated as possible and don't want to miss anything.
Thanks
I almost missed this. The PM system works well for notification too.

Here is a schematic for a single pump with bypass:

Single%20Pump%20Single%20Loop%20Spa%20Plumbing.jpg

Thanks mark. Didn't want to bug with pm.
So would the bypass valve be hooked up together with spa actuator or separately but in sync?that 3 way valve needs to be set to flow partially to both directions, correct? Is there a trick to this or is it pretty self explanatory once I start installing plumbing?
I have yet to install any plumbing or valves, actuators. My pb seems to have staged some sort of walkout so I may end up just doing this myself or repairing whatever work they do if they ever do the work they have already been paid to do.
Life is good.

Yes, you can put the spa bypass valve in parallel with the spa return/jet valve so they both activate at the same time.

In terms of valve setting, I would first try the bypass with both ports 100% open and see if the heater gets enough flow rate to turn on. Because the plumbing is driving spa jets, the pressure will be fairly high so it should be enough for the heater to turn on but you will need to check that. Also, the SWG needs enough flow rate to turn on as well. If either does not turn on, slowly cut off the bypass to a point where they will just turn on and maybe a little extra margin for when the filter gets dirty. Once you do that manually, you can then set the actuator cam for the same position.

My pool is plumbed similar to the diagram, but my heater is on the bypass and a three way valve allows for its return to either go to the spa jets or pool. That allows heating just the pool or spa, and the heater isn't in the loop unless I'm using it.

Chief, wouldn't you want to keep water circulating through your heater so it doesn't rust out? And also run it once or twice a month to avoid problems. Like an old car or motorcycle, you need to let it run once in a while to keep things from drying out, rusting or decaying,etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chief, wouldn't you want to keep water circulating through your heater so it doesn't rust out? And also run it once or twice a month to avoid problems. Like an old car or motorcycle, you need to let it run once in a while to keep things from drying out, rusting or decaying,etc.
My heater is used no less or more than it would be if plumbed directly between the filter and return. If it were always in the return line it would increase my head pressure and reduce my flow through my solar collectors. Think about the pump having to move water first through a DE filter, then the heater, then lift it one and a half stories and through the solar collectors, then the back pressure from in-floor cleaning heads on the pool return.

As far as corrosion, I'm not sure it's any better to constantly run salt water through it vs. It only running once or twice a month. Ten years now and no problems.

Kim- yes the pb plans to paint the pipe to match equipment/ protect from sun.
Yes we are getting close. Just need to build swim out benches, add accent tiles, plaster, water trim out and start up. Of course we still have to dial in all the automation and stuff too.
We'll see how it goes from here.
I also have about 100 sq. ft. Of dirt in front of pool deck where we removed concrete to sync up with future house build out where existing concrete will be removed and lowered significantly for drainage. Any ideas for a cheap temporary dirt cover in the interim? Not sure when the next phase will start and don't really want dirt/ mud in my pool and all over the place.

Some sort of outdoor carpet or AstroTurf was my initial thought. Could be a wet winter here for the first time in years so I would like something that won't stay wet and mold/ mildew out and keep mud under control. Maybe lay some sod if the price is right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.