1963 pool resurection

:D ok gang here are some new shots, its been a while.
the corner where thrash can is will be the spa. the area where you can see the bricks being removed will be a pergola with a water misting system. equipment next to ladder on the other side.
2 swim outs in the deep end with step outs, and a "shelf" on the outside of spa in the pool. still exploring the plant/landscape option near the painted block wall. thinking about semi round cutouts for some color (plants) to breakup the whiteness with possibly adding some Pentair intellibrite landscape lights to go in sync with 5g color pool and spa lights off the easy touch system.

photo47_zps22574f6a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

also considering filling up the garage roof (on the right) with solar panels. I think I can squeeze 4oo sq.ft up there to keep my pool warm almost year round.

[URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/nicosarasdad/media/photoFK9SQ781_zps5250956f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag114/nicosarasdad/photoFK9SQ781_zps5250956f.jpg

any thoughts? questions? opinions?

Like, like, like, like it all!

Have you thought about having someone do a mural on the wall? This is coming from the person with a BLACK thumb for all things that grow in dirt.

Maybe wall art? There are many ideas out there. If you tell us your likes I bet we could flood you with ideas. LOL I LOVE spending other peoples money!

Kim

I feel like "we're" (I'm very invested now) so close I can almost taste the margarita while lounging by the pool. Cutouts for plants seem like a good idea. what about something with nice creeping vines. Or if you're worrie about root systems messing with your newly restored pool, some people are into those "living walls"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! Wow! Wow. I just got caught up on this thread and holy cow - this is great. I am amazed at how you are getting this all done in the space you have to work. I admire your dedication to this project. And I agree with daytimedrama's comment - it feels like a "we" pool even after only being invested for 30 minutes at this point. - Karen

Do they break out all the old plaster to the gunnite, and if so what they use to do that?
Surfhawk, yes they do with a chipping hammer. Basically like a small version of a jackhammer.
Karen, thanks for joining in the fun. It's been a wild ride so far and were really just getting started.

Last edited:
my pool builder is still really concerned over the 3" pipe to and from the spa. he has never run anything that large before (on residential) and thinks that he will need to add a booster pump.
we will have a 7' round spa with 8 jets various locations.
i was planning on one Pentair 3hp vsp to cover both pool and spa.
he says its pointless to size it this way since it has to go through the heater and recommends a separate booster pump if i insist on a 3" pipe for spa jets.
any thoughts?
my reasons are based on info picked up here and don't have the real world experience with pool building that he has. 38 years.
he is going to draw it out for me so i can try and understand his point.
thanks

Generally it's better to have a separate (unfiltered, unheated) loop for spa jets, with a pump that only runs when the jets are on. Having it 3" is good and nothing strange about that...my parents' pool is 30+ years old and has 3" plumbing on the spa loop. You don't have to do it this way, but the jets will be stronger and you won't be pushing the filter and heater so hard.

my pool builder is still really concerned over the 3" pipe to and from the spa. he has never run anything that large before (on residential) and thinks that he will need to add a booster pump.
Your PB clearly does not understand hydraulics. It is easier for a pump to push water through a 3" pipe vs a 2.5" pipe so in reality a smaller pump is need for 3" vs smaller pipe.

Also, it is not pointless to increase the size of the pipe because everything adds up. If you can reduce head loss in one section of the plumbing it can make up for other parts of the plumbing.

Have 38 years of experience doesn't mean you have been doing right for that long.

But along with his draw, ask him for a full set of head calculations and flow rate calculations. ;)

Once you have your drawings, I can do a full set of head calcs to show you the difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.