Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 1963 pool resurection

1. Back To Top    #1

1963 pool resurection

hey everybody, ive been checking out this site for awhile and im curious to know, what will it take for me to bring an old buried gunite pool back to life. it was buried in 1993 due to lack of usage according to neighbors.
    i want to dig it out and repipe it with all new plumbing and equipment. i think i can do almost everything between some friends and myself. what do you think? am i nuts or is this doable?
    also looking for suggestions on equipment and such. i'd like to keep it as green as possible. (the equipment not the pool)
    thinking i might go swg. any thoughts, opinions?
    anybody care to share their dream pool if they were starting over knowing what they know now?
    everything helps, thanks
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1963 pool resurection

Welcome to the forum

Here's some info to help get you started: post230690.html#p230690

Please post lots of pics during the process! What does it look like now?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

hey butterfly, thanks. looks pretty similar although mine may not be full of garbage. but then again, who knows?
    i cant get any pictures to upload...
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

oh, its a blue haven pool if that triggers anything...

5. Back To Top    #5

Try using a photo sharing site like Flickr to host your photos.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

The problem with these projects is you never know what you are going to get into until you dig it out. It is common practice to punch a hole in the bottom of the pool to allow water to drain when filling in. If your lucky this did not happen or if it did it is small enough to patch, if your not lucky someone went happy with a jack hammer and removed the entire bottom of the pool and your looking at a complete rebuild. Before starting on this project I would try to learn as much as possible about the decommissioning, if it was just due to lack of use and not some major problem (cracked pool, etc.) as well as how it was done.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

i think the holes will be fairly minimal. it was buried in 1993.
    i dont currently have a phto "host" i guess ill have to sign up for one. does instagram work?

8. Back To Top    #8

Lots of us use PhotoBucket & it is free and easy.

Just upload your pic there and copy/paste the IMG code inside the post, then hit preview or submit.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I would love to see photos of your progress. Sounds very interesting to me.

10. Back To Top    #10

Cool. I will look into it. This is gonna be a wild project. Definitely worthy of some photos.

11. Back To Top    #11

One of the perks of becoming a lifetime surporter here is 10MB of file storage for photos (which is about 50-75 web sized photos), etc.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by dumbcluck
    Cool. I will look into it. This is gonna be a wild project. Definitely worthy of some photos.

Yes it will be. I hope you find out something soon and let us know. Should be interesting at the least.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Love it! Can't wait to see it come together. Good luck!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

14. Back To Top    #14

lets see if this works

15. Back To Top    #15

That's my daughter standing in the middle of the pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

I can't wait to see this dug up. Any chance of finding out some history on it?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes. It's not original to the house. House was built in 1951 and the pool was installed by permit in 1963 by blue haven pools. It was buried by permit In 1993. I do not know the depth of the pool yet. I dug down somewhere around the center about 4 1/2' haven't quite hit bottom. My guess is its probably 8-10' in the deep end. I actually called blue haven to see if they had any record of the build and was told that they have a warehouse full of old files and it would cost a few hundred dollars to send someone in to look. No thanks.
    My neighbors next door told me that the previous owners buried it due to upkeep and lack of usage. So as far as I know there were no problems with it. It was an easy dig. Mostly dirt and some sand. So far. I have not located any existing pipes yet but suspect they may have come up back there where the shed is.

18. Back To Top    #18

Well hey, at least that is something more than you knew. Appreciate you sharing this with us. It promises to be very interesting and I can't wait to see what you dig up. Any Idea when you will start?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dumbcluck
    That's my daughter standing in the middle of the pool.
    ...water looks a little green
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

20. Back To Top    #20

It will be interesting... we found a buried pool when we began excavation of the pool we built. Ours was a shotcrete shell, but to bury it they had knocked the walls down into the floor. The floor had no holes punched and had collected an amazing amount of water.

It took 3 guys, a bobcat, a backhoe, diamond blade saws, a dump truck, a week and $4000 to get it gone and regraded so we could do the build we planned.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast