Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phos Free

1. Back To Top    #1

Phos Free

I have a couple of bottles of Phos Free and one bottle of Pool Perfect. I bought and used them before I found TFP. Other than very high CYA, go figure, my pool has been algae free and clear. I am switching to BBB, hampered only by high CYA levels and the reality of not draining 6000 gallons in a desert environment. Might these two additives act sort of like an extra filtering agent in my cartridge filter, much like DE in a sand filter, or should I just dump them?
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phos Free

Phos Free does nothing for filtering, but do lower your phosphates, so make it harder for algae to get established, the only thing is if your at the point of algae getting established you already have an out of balance pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Neither of those is going to help your filtering at all. Pool Perfect is very handy if you have the problem it is designed to solve, large quantities of oil (typically sun tan oil), otherwise it is useless.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Neither product will help with filtering, but I would hang on to them until after your next pool party where you could use the Pool Perfect to mitigate any excess suntan oil. Even though phosphates are a non-issue in a properly chlorinated pool, the Phos Free will lower whatever phosphates may be in the pool. Right as I was converting to BBB, I used up my existing Phos Free - it will not hurt anything. Once it was gone, I did not purchase any more after I learned that proper chlorination will keep algae at bay regardless of the pool's phosphate level.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, you all reinforced what I suspected
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

6. Back To Top    #6

PhosFree does contain a clarifer in it; otherwise, the lanthanum carbonate that forms in a pool would severely cloud it and take days to filter out. Some phosphate removers don't contain a clarifier, but PhosFree does.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"