With DE, is it always about 80% each time you backwash?

Jun 1, 2007
Harrisburg, PA
waste said:
First, let me WELCOME you to TFP :goodjob:

Getting all the De out of a filter is impossible, unless you break it down and thoroughly hose the grids/ fingers. A complete backwashing (i.e. backwash/ rinse, backwash/ rinse ... until the water runs ~ clear on backwash) will still only remove ~ 80% of the DE. As such, you should only add 80% of the recommended De when recharging the unit (if the unit takes 6 lbs clean, only add 5 lbs after a backwash) You probably saw the result of adding the full amount of DE after a number of incomplete backwashes, a LOT of extra De in the filter - which prevents the unit from functioning correctly/ efficiently.

I have a Hayward De E65a filter, which takes 6 lbs of DE. You said after a backwash only add 5 lbs since only 80% is removed. I'm about to backwash for the "2nd" times this season. Does that mean after I backwash that only 60% will come out, and I should only add 4 lbs in? Or is it always about 80% each time you backwash?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.