Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: With DE, is it always about 80% each time you backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

With DE, is it always about 80% each time you backwash?

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    First, let me WELCOME you to TFP

Getting all the De out of a filter is impossible, unless you break it down and thoroughly hose the grids/ fingers. A complete backwashing (i.e. backwash/ rinse, backwash/ rinse ... until the water runs ~ clear on backwash) will still only remove ~ 80% of the DE. As such, you should only add 80% of the recommended De when recharging the unit (if the unit takes 6 lbs clean, only add 5 lbs after a backwash) You probably saw the result of adding the full amount of DE after a number of incomplete backwashes, a LOT of extra De in the filter - which prevents the unit from functioning correctly/ efficiently.
    I have a Hayward De E65a filter, which takes 6 lbs of DE. You said after a backwash only add 5 lbs since only 80% is removed. I'm about to backwash for the "2nd" times this season. Does that mean after I backwash that only 60% will come out, and I should only add 4 lbs in? Or is it always about 80% each time you backwash?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ~20% of DE Remains in Filter after Six Months?

bump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: ~20% of DE Remains in Filter after Six Months?

It removes about 80% every time you backwash so add the full 6lbs the first time after filter breakdown then only add 5lbs after the subsequent backwashes
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart