Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Sticker shock/Need advice!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Sticker shock/Need advice!!

It's been a while since I've visited TFP. Forgot how much I like perusing the boards and soaking in all that you "experts" know!!!!
    My pool has been behaving lately, but now i'm having some equipment issues. I wandered into <Pinch-a-Penny> because the inside of my filter was broken ( the inside column thing that the cartridge goes over ~~ ). Anyway, the salesman told me how expensive that piece is and I'd be better off getting a whole new filter. (WHich, if that piece is truly that expensive, he's right!!!) I asked about a new pump (as I believe we are undersized for what we have.) He showed me the Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed pump. Oh my goodness!!!!! He told me that a normal pump is adding about $85 to a standard Florida electric bill, while this pump would add between $3 and $7!!! I was amazed at the almost SILENCE with which it ran.
    SOOOOOOO....before I go selling everything I own to be able to afford this pump, will you tell me what you know about it? Both it's efficiency and the money-saving part of it!!!!
    Thank you!!
    Sunny SW Florida! Uncaged Free-form IG pool, Pebble-tec finish, 20,000 gallons?? (Beach entry/tanning ledge is 9' x 9'; it's free form 37' x 19'. Depth 3 feet to max 5.5 feet. There's also an attached spa with spillover: 6 foot radius. Anything else?)
    Prologic computerized thingie with SWG; 1.5 hp Hayward II Super pump, cartridge (i think) filter. (Hubby contracted the whole I don't have a detailed list on what we've got!)

2. Back To Top    #2
    NW Ohio

Re: Pump Sticker shock/Need advice!!

I imagine he is getting those numbers based on 24/7 pump run time, and I doubt the VS pump will save you quite that much even if you do run all day every day.

It might be good to take a look at a 2-speed pump. It won't be as expensive as a variable one but you will still see an energy savings. I think most "computerized thingies" can work with 2-speed pumps, but that may be a whole other discussion that is out of my league.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

There is no way that those electrical costs were comparing apples to apples.

A 2 speed moves half the water for a quarter the cost. So to move the same water as a comparable single speed, it would need to run twice as long, but would still save 50% the power cost. With the VS, the motor is a little more efficient and can run at an even lower speed using less electricity, but to move the same water, you would have to run it longer. Probably possible to save maybe ~70% of the electrical cost with the VS pump moving the same amount of water.

The easiest way to save money is to rub the pump the shortest amount of time required to keep the water clean.

There is no way you will save 95% of the power cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

If your electric rate is less than about 20 cents per kwh a variable speed is almost never going to pay for itself in power savings. A 2-speed is a better choice in that case.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Houston, TX

You may also consider just swapping the motor for a 2 speed and keeping the wet end of your existing pump.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit