pH low?

JFB

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
Monréal, Québec, Canada
I did the full TF-100 test today and everything looked good to me except my pH was 7.2

First off, is the Taylor kit that comes with the TF-100 kit the only way to test pH? Is it accurate enough? The reason I ask is that the TF-100 is quite detailed at testing FC, even though the Taylor kit can also test FC.

From what I read in pool school, my pH should be between 7.5 and 7.8. It was there before, not sure how it got lower. Then again, other elements of pool chemistry get away from me as well, so no surprise I guess! Is 7.2 too low? It mentions somewhere in pool school that values between 7.2 and 8.0 are acceptable...

If I have to increase my pH, the only place that sells Borax (20 Mule Team) is a 30 min drive from here. For the same price, I can get this stuff at the hardware store next to my house. http://www.rona.ca/en/sodium-carbonate

Can I use that stuff in my pool? Is it the same as Borax? Will using this upset my water chemistry?

Thanks for the advice, once again!

JF

Unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a pH meter, this is the best test there is for pH. Your pH should tend to rise over time, so you shouldn't have to raise the pH. Besides, 7.2 is an acceptable number. You're not chlorinating with tablets, are you?

You can raise your pH by simply pointing a return at the surface of the water, making the water ripple. It will be slow, but it will go up. 7.2 is not too low. Yes, it is at the bottom of the recommended range, but it's not anything you need to stress over.

The product that you linked to can be used to increase your pH. However, you might not want to use that right now.

What is your TA?

What chemicals have you added recently?

The K1000 pH (in the TF100) test is as accurate as you need. Chlorine needs high precision when slamming but pH is not a test that needs that much precision.

Also... the k1000 really has trouble with free verses total chlorine.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Regular granular stabilizer is cyanuric acid, which will lower the pH a little bit, depending on how much you add. That is probably why your pH is down to 7.2.

At a pH of 7.2, I would wait and retest the pH in a few days before doing anything to raise it.

Note: Liquid stabilizer is a base, and will raise the pH and TA a little bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What does your water look like?

You said you ran the full tests but didn't post any numbers. Our advice is only guesswork until you provide test results.

Did you have a clear understanding of "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School yet?

I think I have a good handle on the abc's. I re-read it often to make sure I'm doing things right. But there is always room for misunderstanding a concept: I am still a rookie. This is why I like asking questions on this awesome forum, trying to make sure I understand things correctly.

So, by popular demand, here are the test results from yesterday.

FC 3.5
CC 0.5
TA 60
CH 100
CYA 50
pH 7.2

TA and CH have remained stable since my first test results on 17 July. I've increased CYA from 20 ish to 50 since then. I added bleach yesterday do bring FC to 4. Haven't tested this am.
Water is clear.

Everything looks good (almost said your FC was too low before I remembered you have an SWG). You may want to bring your CYA up to 60 or 70, that will help keep your FC more level and help you dial in your SWG. Your pH is fine, with an SWG it is far more likely to rise than to go down so just keep testing daily to make sure it doesn't get any lower.

We were all rookies and we all are still learning so never feel bad for asking questions. Looks like you have a better grasp on it than I did when I was new! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.