Low TA, High PH

Jun 12, 2013
Northwest Arkansas
I've had the pool going for a week. Everything tested fine until today. We had a lot of rain the last couple days.

Today FC was zero, PH was at the top reading on my drop tester, and TA is 60. I added PH decreaser, but that didn't change the PH reading, so I did an acid demand test, and it said to add 3/4c acid. I decided to do a TA test before adding more acid, and the TA tested at 60. I added the recommended chlorine as bleach, and the chlorine level is currently normal.

What do you recommend? Should I fix the TA then fix the PH?

Do I need to wait until the PH is fixed to allow people to swim?

Thanks!

I did that. First four days were dichlor.

EDIT: Or, if more details are needed: First day was PH decreaser, dichlor, and algaecide. Next three days were dichlor. Now I just test each day and add whatever the pool calculator says. Last night I had to add borax. Now the PH is too high.

JamesW said:
akirasun said:
Last night I had to add borax. Now the PH is too high.
Why did you have to add Borax, and how much did you add?

The PH was low, so I entered the value into the pool calculator and added whatever it said. I should have written it down. I can't remember what it was now. Maybe I made a mistake and added too much and that's why it's too high today.

What type of test are you using to determine chlorine? Does it give you shades of yellow or pink? If pink, then it is the DPD test which can bleach out and give false zero results. I don't think that is the issue but I want to be sure since high chlorine also can give high pH results that are false. In those cases the pH color would be a kind of purple.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Hooray, it's fixed! (PH decreaser, wait, test, PH decreaser, wait test, PH decreaser, wait, test. Bingo!)

I have the yellow chlorine test.

I don't know how it got out of whack. I'm guessing I made a mistake while I was in a hurry last night. In any case, hooray for the pool calculator. Now all is well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.