Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is chlorine in the pool corroding my tools?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is chlorine in the pool corroding my tools?

Hi everybody! We moved to the Tampa/St Pete area about 5 years ago and bought a in-ground pool home there. This is the first time we have had a pool home. The pool is about 20' straight behind the three car garage, separated by the patio . The garage has a ventilation window in the back wall and there are soffit ventilation ducts in the roof area, and the ceiling in the garage is open, no attic. In other-words the garage has many vented openings that are open in close proximity to the pool.

I am a semi-retired mechanic....ok...I'm a car guy I have lots of tools and shop equipment as well as a couple of classic cars and two motorcycles. Since moving here, I am noticing increased rusting on just about everything in the shop. Tools, equipment, bumpers, you name it. Nasty, aggressive corrosion. I am quite sure that this is the result of the evaporation of chlorine from the pool that is causing this. We are almost the exact same distance from the ocean as we were when we lived in Ft Lauderdale so that's not it. It has to be something the pool is doing, and the only possible thing is the Chlorine in it....right?

So am I right, is it the Chlorine evaporating from the pool that is doing this? If so, what is the alternative? Is there a way to keep a pool clean and sanitary that does not use corrosive chemicals? Sealing up the shop is not really viable, it would entail the complete installation of an attic as well as an A/C system. Its doable as a last resort, but there must be a viable way to reduce the corrosion coming from the pool.....or am I wrong? I am a newbie here, but I know how much knowledge is around a forum like this, I am sure the answer(s) are here!
    Thanks folks!!
    Wisconsin, 27 foot round 54" deep AG, 1 1/2 hp sand pump variable stage, vinyl beaded liner, has a pool dome on top to enclose from bugs and etc, just putting up 7/14/13

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is chlorine in the pool corroding my tools?

Do you store any of the chemicals in the garage?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You won't get enough corrosive gas off of the pool to have any effect. However, where do you store your pool chemicals? In the garage? Some of the concentrated chemicals will give off noticeable amounts of corrosive gas.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Well....not exactly, but way too close for comfort! Everything pool related was stored outside the garage, but not far at all from it, and especially not far from one of the soffit vents. I have moved everything a ways away and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks!!
    Wisconsin, 27 foot round 54" deep AG, 1 1/2 hp sand pump variable stage, vinyl beaded liner, has a pool dome on top to enclose from bugs and etc, just putting up 7/14/13

5. Back To Top    #5

Dehumidifier might help?
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forum

If your bleach or muriatic acid bottles come inside a cardboard box, I would keep the box. Make sure the bottles are securely capped. Store the bottles in the box and close the box flaps - they don't have to be perfectly sealed. The box will absorb a majority of any off-gassing and reduce corrosion on other nearby surfaces. This is working for me.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have seen this happen many times when people store buckets of trichlor in encloded areas.

8. Back To Top    #8

The containers for tablets and acid are vented so anything nearby can corrode. I store my acid in a Rubbermaid bench storage box well away from anything metallic. Has to be that way.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hmph I had a pair of vice grips that turned to solid rust in the pool shed basically. This is why I like this forum, I'm always learning something new.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

10. Back To Top    #10

I understand your garage is vented but the high humidity in the St Pete/ Clearwater area are a contributing factor also. My father lives in St Petersburg doesnt have a pool and has similar rusting issues on his tools in his shed.
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart