Really difficult pool...

I did not mean to step on toes. But this forum is primarily geared toward homeowners ... so we try to keep the advice consistent. When we start varying the advice, that is when newer members may get confused. Thus the attempt to keep things consistent.

chem geek, what I meant by trichlor tablets being an industry standard is that if you pick a pool at random, it probably uses trichlor tabs. You can't just go to Walmart and pick up most of the other options for chlorine. Yes you can buy bleach, but if your average pool owner was doing that instead of using trichlor tabs, there wouldn't be a whole section of the store devoted to pool products. I don't doubt that TFP is helping a significant number of pool owners, and that these methods are catching on, but you can't deny that trichlor tablets are a very significant source of chlorination. Thats not to say its without problems as you and others have demonstrated.

For almost ten years I was able to manage pools using only trichlor without many problems. Knowing what I know now, I suspect that regional climate plays a pretty big part in this. If every few weeks a pool gains a few inches of water from rain, there is constant dilution and CYA is managed without the need for me to do anything extra. In a more arid climate, I would imagine problems with CYA tend to be more significant.

Getting back to the pool at the heart of this post; I'm thinking about getting liquid chlorine into this pool somehow. I may have to work around my boss to do so, but it seems obvious at this point that there aren't too many other options that aren't fairly drastic. So I'm curious; if I bring the FC up high enough to be effective at killing off the algae, and clearing this pool up, how quickly will the FC drop out if the CYA is at 100 ppm. Is it possible that I could raise the FC up early in the week and have it maintain high enough levels throughout the week? I would need to bring FC up to about 40 to reach shock levels and keep it there for at least a few days. Then I would need to maintain it at about 12. I'll probably add algaecide regularly to keep it under control as well. If I can get to this point, and figure out a way to dose with liquid chlorine weekly, I think I can save this pool.

Once winter comes and goes, the pool will lose a fair amount of water and be replenished with snow and rain. I would expect the CYA to come down a fair amount. I have suggested to this customer that she consider upgrading to a SWG, which is a possibility for next year, but unlikely to happen any sooner. I want to save her from having to drain half of her pool and refill. I might be able to replace water, small amounts at a time, but its a tough sell to replace 10,000 gallons all at once.

So does it seem possible to dose this pool early in the week, lets say Monday, and have FC levels within reason for swimming over the weekend, and not drop below safe levels before the following Monday?

jbizzle, I don't mean to single you out on this. There have been a lot of posts from various members that have come of somewhat condescending. I appreciate where you are coming from with consistency, but most of my posts are in "The Deep End" because they aren't what I would consider basic pool chemistry. I'm here to learn. I have a geology background, focused in hydrogeology, which means I have a reasonable grip on water chemistry. I try to work my way through as much as I can on my own, but there isn't a lot of good information available with regard to CYA and its relationship to FC (at least I haven't been able to find much). So when I come here, and I'm met with so much friction, it tends to be very disappointing. I get that there is a system being promoted here, and it is geared towards the average homeowner looking to manage their pool, but to limit this forum to that extent would be a huge waste of the resources available on here.

First and foremost, this forum is geared to residential pool owners.....not professional service folks.....it always will be.

If you choose to learn what we teach, we are happy to share but it is not a mission of this forum to adapt our advice to service professionals.

Frankly, your continued use and defense of strips is so antithetical to what we teach, most of us simply lose interest in helping you.

A few kind people, like chem geek and jblizzle, have made some pretty good attempts to help you but you don't seem to be listening. I don't see much more that can be done.

TreeFiter said:
I try to work my way through as much as I can on my own, but there isn't a lot of good information available with regard to CYA and its relationship to FC (at least I haven't been able to find much).
Yes, because as you mentioned trichlor is the "industry standard." Information about CYA and it's relationship to FC would be detrimental to an industry that thrives on stabilized chlorine. So it isn't taught, not to pool owners, not to pool store employees, not to the very people working on a pool. Why weren't you taught this by your employer? Because that information does not support their methods.

Understand, you may care and want to learn, but you wear the same uniform and are doing the same things as the very people who have caused the problems that have led most of the members of the forum here. You are a pool technician who uses trichlor powder to shock, whether by choice or not you are the "pool store employee". Of course you are met with friction! It may not be justified but you are a representation of everything we preach against in pool maintenance.

I am not trying to say that the friction you get is justified, nor am I saying it isn't. I am staying out of it, but I want you to understand why it is happening. If you can bring about fundamental change in the way your specific company is run, then great! You can help a lot of people! But as long as the trichlor powder and test strips remain there is always going to be some resistance to helping you continue to do it in a way we are fundamentally against.

How can so many people maintain their pools perfectly clear and have few problems (other than the high cost) using pool store (and "industry standards)??

Well, I did it for years while I was living in New England. The pool season is very short. With back flushing, splash out and occasional rain additions, by the time the CYA levels got into the problem area, it was time to drain a third of my water and winterize. Come spring, somehow the CYA would be at or very near zero, and it all starts over. My pool may well have been on the verge of disaster, but the water always looked fine and I was none the wiser.

Now I understand what's going on with the chemistry of my pool and carefully manage it. That's the difference.

TreeFiter said:
chem geek, what I meant by trichlor tablets being an industry standard is that if you pick a pool at random, it probably uses trichlor tabs. You can't just go to Walmart and pick up most of the other options for chlorine. Yes you can buy bleach, but if your average pool owner was doing that instead of using trichlor tabs, there wouldn't be a whole section of the store devoted to pool products. I don't doubt that TFP is helping a significant number of pool owners, and that these methods are catching on, but you can't deny that trichlor tablets are a very significant source of chlorination. Thats not to say its without problems as you and others have demonstrated.

For almost ten years I was able to manage pools using only trichlor without many problems. Knowing what I know now, I suspect that regional climate plays a pretty big part in this. If every few weeks a pool gains a few inches of water from rain, there is constant dilution and CYA is managed without the need for me to do anything extra. In a more arid climate, I would imagine problems with CYA tend to be more significant.
It does vary in different areas of the country. As the previous post by chiefwej shows, short swim seasons, smaller pools, summer rains with overflow (not evaporation), winter rains or partial drain for winterizing, and backwashing sand filters can all keep CYA in check especially in combination. Also, some fill water is low in phosphates and if they aren't added to a pool then algae growth can be lower as a result.

As an opposite example was my own pool 10 years ago. I have a 16,000 gallon pool, an oversized cartridge filter (4-cart, 340 square foot total) that only needs cleaning once a year, dry summers with no rain, an electric safety cover where I used a pool cover pump over the winter so no winter rain overflow. The pool wasn't used quite as much as it is now so I only had 0.7 ppm FC per day chlorine usage where I maintained 3 ppm FC using Trichlor pucks in a floating dispenser. I also used lots of "extras" including an algaecide (mix of Polyquat and linear quat) but only every other week, clarifier, enzyme, and metal sequestrant since all of it was free since I knew someone who worked at a pool chemical manufacturer. My fill water has 400 ppb phosphates. The first year was fine, but in the middle of the second year I couldn't keep up with chlorine demand so I added more pucks to the dispenser and then to the skimmer and the pool started to look dull and then cloudy. It was the start of an algae bloom though I didn't know it at the time. My CYA had started out at 30 ppm, but after 10-11 months of Trichlor use it had increased to 150 ppm when the problems occurred.

That's when I found The PoolForum and Ben Powell's chlorine/CYA chart and decided to pull out my old chemistry books and learn pool water chemistry. I've never looked back.

Trichlor is very popular, but problems with algae in pools are also very common. However, it's a statistical thing given the circumstances so while a portion of the pools using Trichlor and not using mitigating methods (algaecides, phosphate removers) may have a problem, some pools have no problems at all for years, others have problems every few years, while some have problems every year. Pool stores and chemical manufacturers make more margin on algaecides, phosphate removers, clarifiers, flocculants, enzymes and other specialty chemical products.

As for pool store sales, the one in my area sells both Trichlor and chlorinating liquid -- lots of both. Again, this varies by area. [EDIT] This thread is just the most recent example of someone getting "chlorine lock" every year (which of course is not really "lock" but too low an FC for a high CYA), presumably now towards the latter part of their swim season. We usually see most problem pools with algae in August and beyond since the CYA has built up over several months (and the FC not raised proportionately). Again, there are those with problems every year, some with problems every few years or this is the first year they've had problems, and others that never have a problem. The pool industry uses this fact to pretend that there's voodoo going on that cannot be explained and that it most certainly proves that "CYA doesn't matter" but we know that isn't true. They use the argument that "real pools" are different than laboratory chemistry as if somehow real pools are a parallel universe where the laws of physics and chemistry do not apply. It's insulting and ultimately deceitful. [END-EDIT]

So the good news is, with the help of this forum, the pool in question, is now clear. I added algaecide on Saturday, and by Monday the pool was crystal clear. I still have a challenge on my hands with CYA at 100ppm, but I think I have a plan that will work.

I talked to my boss, and I was able to sell him on the idea that the CYA was the problem, and that we put it there using a combination of 7 day tablets and trichlor shock. I've got Cal-hypo on order, and I was given the OK to pick up liquid chlorine as I see necessary.

It might be a bit tricky, but I'm going to try to raise up FC levels (around 40 ppm) early in the week. With CYA so high, they should drop fairly slowly. The customer will only be there to use the pool late in the week when the FC levels have come down to more reasonable levels. I'm also going to vacuum on waste every week and replenish with tap water. This should let me bring down the CYA to a workable level over time. I'll also be adding algaecide weekly.

The customer plans to close the pool in mid september. So I won't have to keep this up for too long. Next year, the CYA levels will be lower because of water replacement, and I will be watching the levels from the start.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this pool.

I agree with Family guy ... you are doing a great job understanding and working with what you are given ... and apparently improving the quality of service by educating your boss. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I give you kuddos for trying your best to help your customers. Trying to manage pools once a week is not what we here at TFP specialize in nor do we try to, but most of your problems can be solved with the knowledge here at TFP. Keep studying in our Pool School and you will learn many things that you can incorporate into your job. Most of all, you will be able to understand why your troublesome pools are in trouble and then you can formulate a plan to resolve them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.