Cloudy water - READY TO GIVE UP THE POOL take 2

my post from yesterday disappeared after the upgrade... basically I lamented about my lack of success with our AG pool and the continuous cloudy water. My assignment was to get a 6-way test kit asap, test my well water, and post numbers here for further instructions before filling the pool:

TH - 200
FC - 0
pH - 8.4
TA - 180
CYA - 30-50

Awaiting further instructions...
Thanks!

PoolBoop said:
my post from yesterday disappeared after the upgrade... basically I lamented about my lack of success with our AG pool and the continuous cloudy water. My assignment was to get a 6-way test kit asap, test my well water, and post numbers here for further instructions before filling the pool:

TH - 200
FC - 0
pH - 8.4
TA - 180
CYA - 30-50

Awaiting further instructions...
Thanks!

Once you fill your pool, be prepared to lower your PH with Muratic Acid. First lower it to 7.8 using the dosage according to the pool calculator. This will lower your TA too, but that's okay it's on the high side anyway.

Your other numbers look good, but I question the test results. These are of tap water? And your tap water has CYA? I've never heard of that. Maybe I'm missing something....

Again, using the pool calculator, determine your chlorine level which if your pool has 30-50 cya would be around 6ppm. The pool calc will tell you how much bleach to add to bring it to that level.

Can you confirm if this is your tap water - prefill or you filled and tested?

Sorry if I'm confused....

Thank you both for the feeback! I am truly learning on the fly.

JasonLion:
I'm not sure what you are asking for. When I posted originally I promised that I would be a willing student and follow instructions so long as small words were used and people typed slowly. I was instructed to get a 6-way test kit asap and test my well water to get the season off right. Pool has not been filled, this is a test from my kitchen sink. I will actually fill the pool from an outside spigot from the same well. Ultimately the problem we have had is consistently cloudy water.

frustratedpoolmom:
I was suspicious of the CYA myself as everything I've read indicates this would be unexpected in a tap water test... but I swear this is the reading I got today from my kitchen sink. As I noted above, I will actually fill the pool from an outside spigot and will ultimately post those numbers, but I really think they should be comparable because as far as I know they both come from the same well... I can't image another scenerio at this point...

We did decide to upgrade to a larger 2500 gph filter pump - we really think its a minimal investment to our last ditch effort to save the pool. I really struggled with "is it worth it... isn't it worth it". Until I found this site, my pool was seriously headed to the burn pile. No joke.

The total hardness surprised me a it too. I really expected it to be much higher - of course all things are relative, but I would have guessed that my water was so much harder than indicated. The pH tests at 8.4 at the high end and doesn't go any higher so this number is suspcious in my opinion.

Again, thank you! I seriously felt a renewed hope after stumbling across this site... We were so very ready to pack it all in until we could afford to build a "real pool". This is, of course, our ultimate goal... but apparently we have a lot of information to glean before I/we will feel even remotely comfortable taking care of a larger pool.

I remain,
Your willing student!

The only thing I can determine is there is something odd that is causing the CYA test to mis-read. I have never heard of CYA being in tap water.

I think you should fill the pool and follow the muratic acid steps. Dose the pool with chlorine - 1ppm to start.

I don't see your pool gallons....anyway, use the pool calculator to determine proper dosage.

Once you have done these three things, you can retest for CYA. You only have enough CYA reagent to conduct about 3 tests....so is there a pool store nearby that can test it for you?

I remain,
Your willing Intern....LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.