Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph probe working or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph probe working or not?

With a lot of help from this forum I recently upgraded to full automation.

I am using the Pentair intellichem. firmware 1.030 rev B

I find that the ph reading is always about .7 lower than my measured samples. I have calibrated the probe and used the "tweak" feature but it is still off compared to my test kit.

Does it sound like a bad probe? or are there other tweaks any one can suggest. Thanks.
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph probe working or not?

That's way off. Does it measure incorrectly for your tap water as well? Usually tap water is in the 7.5 to 8.2 range -- often around 7.8 to 8.0.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you added any chemicals through the skimmer? Doing that can throw off the probe results for a number of days.

It is also possible, though rare, for the probe to become fouled with organic oils and give readings that are off until it is cleaned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

have not tested it against tap water-- will try it.

no chemicals added to skimmer-- borates sprinkled in pool but not skimmer.

Thanks for responding.
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

5. Back To Top    #5

cleaned probe with detergent, have not tried muriatic acid yet-- this will be my next step

6. Back To Top    #6

Make sure you dilute the acid by at least 50%. I don't know these pool probes but don't think they are much different than those we use. None that I know of can handle a stronger acid solution without the loss of integrity. If you have pH probe storage solution or pH 4.0 buffer, give it an overnight soak in that first. It can't hurt.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you, I did dilute the acid about 5:1 which Pentair recommends. Ph probe was replaced and same problem so I think it is the cable or motherboard.

Appreciate your help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sure thing, sorry I couldn't help more. Let us know what you find out.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for your help and advice.

Problem fixed.

Turned out it was it was the cable from the PH probe to the Intellichem motherboard. Cable replaced, PH is reading normally and rock stable.

If anyone is reading this can you recommend what solution to store the ph and orp probes in over the winter. Pentair intellichem manual is not clear on this.

Thanks.