Cloudy blue water!!

Jun 21, 2013
We just had a 27'x54" agp installed 2 1/2 weeks ago with a sand filter the pump is 2hp......our pool was filled with creek water since we live on a well....it's was brown at first now it's a cloudy blue and it's driving me nuts I have had the water tested numerous times and every time they say the water has the perfect chemistry!! I just had the water tested this past Friday and it was showing very low chlorine levels they believe something is eating up all the chlorine I put rapid shock in and added de to the skimmer basket and then woke up this morning after turning the filter off overnight and the bottom was a brownish color which we vacuumed and it stirred everything right back up I'm ready to give up I put 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach in and now you can start to see the bottom but its still cloudy..please help I'm desperate!!! ....we have a hayward sand filter 2hp pump 17,250 gallons of water ag pool.....here are the results from tf100

cya: 60
Ta: 100
FC: 19.5
Cc: .5
Tc: 20
Ph: 7.5
CH: 140
Now what??

Do you have one of our recommended test kits ? If not I suggest you get one as you are just guessing at what you are you are doing. Don't trust the pool store testing.

No reason to be adding DE at this time as it will get back washed out.

I also suggest take a break from what you are doing and do some reading in pool school. pool-school/shocking_your_pool
pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
calc.html

Add your pool info to your sig it will help us help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I am assuming that these results are from a pool store?

First recommendation is to cake control of your pool by buying a good test kit. We like the TF-100, or the Taylor K-2006. Best place to order is from http://tftestkits.net/ . These are NOT available through most retail pool stores. Leslies has the K-2005, which is NOT the same. What you are looking for is FAS-DPD chlorine testing.

The reason we don't trust pool store testing is they have no interest in giving you accurate results, so normally don't test properly. The worst one is the CYA test. You can take several samples form the same pool at the same time, and the results will be different, even in the same store.

Next will be to read category.php?c=getting_started

Especially the parts dealing with clearing a cloudy pool and algae.

Could you add your pool info and location to your signature line? You can do this through the User Control Panel. This will help us help you.

Good!

Have you been following the SLAM process as precisely as you can?

Cloudy could be from several things, most often from chemical imbalance. However, since you fill from a creek, it could also be from other things in the water. Do you know what the metals content of that water is/was? That could be the source of the brown powder that settled to the bottom of your pool.

You CAN hand vacuum it, but it will take a bit of time. You would have to move very slowly, and disturb the water as little as humanly possible.

Are you trying to do the SLAM process ? If you are your not doing it correctly. You need to read about it in pool school.

We don't recommended just adding stuff randomly. You have to identify what your problem is and correct it properly.

pwrstrk said:
Are you trying to do the SLAM process ? If you are your not doing it correctly. You need to read about it in pool school.

We don't recommended just adding stuff randomly. You have to identify what your problem is and correct it properly.

That is what they are trying to do, and it might be very beneficial to add DE right now to speed the clear up. A little DE will be used up, but no matter if it will help.

I suggest the gentle as possible vacuum, continue to filter and backwash, and continue to SLAM. Run your shock level up according to the Chlorine CYA chart. You'll have to watch your filter closely on pressure, but using some DE may help speed it up. If you are unsure how to do it, there is an article in Pool School about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as you are maintaining your FC level appropriate to the CYA shock level, all you can do is keep at it.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/ is a great resource for figuring the amount to add to your pool to reach the target level.

It will take time, since your pool didn't get this way overnight. Would you expect an instant cure to an illness you had for several months? Your pool is the same way.

re-read Pool School several times. That will help in your quest for understanding. The inter-relationships will become clearer each time you do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.