Poolskim installation - not sure if possible or not?

Dec 19, 2012
Chinag Mai, Thailand
Hi,

The house I am renting at the moment has four 1 inch returns at one end and a skimmer at the other that does basically nothing.

I'd like to try the pool skim but looking at the eyeball style returns there is no way of screwing anything off - they seem to be one piece and cemented in to the wall.

Has anybody had the same problem and found a way to install the Pool Skim?

Many thanks,

Tom.

The PoolSkim requires a fitting to screw to. The PS piping,except for the adapter fittings, is 50 mm metric and not a standard PVC. It's more like an ABS pipe with screws that create the tension is a joint. The adapters are critical to making it work. There are two adapters. One is the eyeball cover style, the other screws into the threads in the wall fitting. I also learned that different makers make the fittings differently. The Hayward has the cover, eyeball, a seat fitting and the wall fitting. The seat screws into the wall fitting and they make a tool to take it out SP1419T. The other fitting I have, the seat for the eyeball it molded into the wall fitting and it is threaded inside of the seat.

I don't know IG fitting but AFAIK, the eyeball fitting for IG are very similar to AG outside of the way they are fitted to the walls.

I like the way my PS cleans my water surface of crepe blooms.

And an idea of the pool shape:-

[attachment=1:1ypr5fxe]20130806_121122.jpg[/attachment:1ypr5fxe]

[attachment=0:1ypr5fxe]20130806_120156.jpg[/attachment:1ypr5fxe]

Basically the skimmer is getting blocked very easily and the pool is always covered in bugs and leaves - I'm thinking that a separate skimmer of some sort would help keeps things in check.

Any thoughts ideas gratefully received!

Cheers,

Tom.

What do you mean by "the skimmer is getting blocked very easily"? Is something blocking the flow to the skimmer, or is the basket just filling up and stopping the flow?

It looks like the eyeballs are all turned different directions. Try turning them all to one side so they create a clockwise or CCW flow around the pool.

Again apologies for the long delay in responding, I think I need to change my registered email address...

OK, the skimmer is getting blocked very easily by leaves - but even before that happens it is not taking the bugs off the surface.

Hence my question about adding a poolskim.

The eyes face in two different, two to the left and two top the right. The positions seem to be locked, I have tried very hard to move them but no dice.

So, another question would be is it possible to cut them out and replace them with the side return types that would also take a poolskim - with the amount of leaves coming into the pool the skimmer size is clearly not going to cut it.

Many thanks,

Tom.

This is way beyond my knowledge.

It would seem unlikely to me that they installed returns with what appear to be spouts that are not adjustable. I know I had a difficult time with my fitting but that it was caused by the eterior mounting ring applying pressure to the interior of the fitting and preventing me from removing the seat. When I removed the fitting the seat essentially fell into my hand with minimal effort. I then reinstalled the entire fitting to the pool. I know it is much easier with an above ground pool. I have seen some return fittings have special tools to make removing the covers or seats.

That looks like adjustable return fittings. Have you tried taking a large pair of chanellock pliers or other wrench and unscrewing the collar? I would try that first and adjust all the eyeballs toward the same general direction.

The picture of the skimmer appears that it's a good working skimmer and once you have the circulation corrected it should work fine. However, since you say that the skimmer basket fills quickly a PoolSkim may be a good choice for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure a pool skim is the perfect answer. The PS works by drawing the debris over the top lip if the floating weir and it cyclones to the base and out a 50-52 MM arched shaped hole to the exhaust bag. Unless the leaves will suck down the weir and into the hole and out to the exhaust bag, it will not work well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.