Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to BBB | Few Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New to BBB | Few Questions

Hi Everyone,

I just switched from Trichlor Tabs in a floater to 8.25% bleach. The reason I switched was due to increasing CYA numbers from the tabs. Our pool is crystal clear but want to ensure I am not doing anything incorrectly seeing our CYA is now just over 100. I figured that switching out the tabs for bleach and enforcing splash-out should eventually lower the number a bit without requiring draining?

If draining out some water is required, could I turn my pump to only use the in-floor drain and use the spigot built into the pump to drain out the water? Is that what that spigot is for?

Any assistance would be awesome and thanks ahead of time!!

My test results from tonight:

FC - 3.23
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 109
    CH - 87 <-- is this bad? Our pool was filled using water mostly from a soft water tank. It start out at 34 about 2 months ago.
    CYA - 107
    Testing w/ ColorQ Pro 7 and K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New to BBB | Few Questions

Welcome to the forum.

The Color Q has a bad habit of testing CYA poorly. I would get a second test from another source to confirm you are 100+ and then decide to drain or not.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If I am reading your sig right, you have an IG gunite with pebbletec plaster. Yes, your CH will need to come up.

pool-school/recommended_levels will have the answer you need for your CH level.

Highly recommend you read all of Pool School and ask questions here for anything you are unsure about.

I don't have any experience with Color Q test kits, but I DO know that the TF-100 and K-2006 as recommended here in TFP and other forums are great value for your $$, and in my opinion are the best, short of precision lab testing. Anything that relies on color matching is suspect, be it read by human eyes or photometers. A little testing residue in the test cylinder can throw the results rather far out of actual measurement.

If you should ever have to SLAM your pool, you will need a kit that reads much higher than 10 ppm. With a CYA of 100+, that is actually likely, given that your recommended FC level for that high CYA, as shown in this chart -- pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock -- suggests that you need an FC of 9 - 12, and possibly higher depending on your actual CYA, just for normal operation.

If there is someone local to you with a test kit similar to what most here use, with a turbidity CYA test, it would be a good idea to retest the CYA, to know what the actual level is. If it is as high as is suspected, you may have to partially drain and refill your pool to bring it down to a more manageable level.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't get your CYA tested by a pool storm because they are more often wrong than right. It would be best if you could get the K-2006 or TF-100, but if not, Walmart makes a 6 way test that is good for everything except chlorine.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies! After spending $150 on my ColorQ Pro I will not be able to purchase another test kit for quite some time. Is it really an inaccurate way to test or only the CYA portion?

Pool store got a reading of 90 for CYA just now.

6. Back To Top    #6

We had another user with a ColorQ who got so fed up with it in less than a month he sent it back. colorq-pro-7-debate-and-results-t65965.html#p552628
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

So should I purchase a K-2006 kit at least to validate the ColorQ Pro results? Also having a IG gunite PebbleTec pool, with a CH of only 87 should I raise it asap to around 200?

8. Back To Top    #8

The K-2006 is definitely more reliable than a ColorQ. The TF-100 is the better value. If you can't afford a K-2006 or TF-100, you could get the hth 6 way kit from Walmart for now. It will do for now, and I have a suspicion that it is made by Taylor.
    John

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kendjelic
    So should I purchase a K-2006 kit at least to validate the ColorQ Pro results? Also having a IG gunite PebbleTec pool, with a CH of only 87 should I raise it asap to around 200?
    Yes.

You can buy Calcium Increaser or just switch to chlorinating with Cal-hypo for a while.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Richard as well as everyone else. So Amazon for the K-2006? Also, to lower the CYA is it safe to just use the spigot on the pump and just shut off the skimmer?

11. Back To Top    #11

Update.

I ordered the Taylor K-2006 Kit and 25lbs of Calcium Increaser. Will report back in a week or so.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just wanted to follow up to my previous question about draining. Is it safe to use my pumps built in spigot to drain the water with a hose attached instead of renting a sump pump?

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes ... if you can isolate the floor drain when the water gets below the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah I have a manual valve that is currently set partial towards drain than skimmer at the moment. Turning that to only main drain should do the trick then.

15. Back To Top    #15

So this morning I just started to pump out some pool water via my built in spigot. The pump is currently running at 3300 rpm and only pulling from the main drain.

My concern is since the in-floor cleaning system runs when the pump is on, should I be worried when the water level drops below the returns and pop-ups on the baja step?
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

Since those are returns they'll just spew out water if you leave the 3-way valve on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Perfect. Thanks for the quick reply! Time to lower this dang CYA.

18. Back To Top    #18

So I received my K-2006 kit and my Calcium Hardness increaser today. I drained my pool about 16" today and my CYA seems to have decreased from about 100 to 70. Still more to go but at least that's a start.

Also this was a great time to test my ColorQ Pro against the K-2006. The ColorQ tested my CH at 105 and CYA at 72. The Taylor kit was only a few ppm off, with CH at 100 and CYA at 70. For me this is great news and makes me feel like I didn't waste my money on the ColorQ.

Thank you all for getting me started!