Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool

thinking of upgrading from a 15'x48 regular frame to the 18'x48 ultra frame or the 22'x54 UF. has anyone had problems. what are the pros and cons?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool

No problems so far, the ultra frames are nice, and bigger is better. Keep in mind that Intex always underisizes their filtration, so a filter upgrade is probably called for.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the 18X48 Ultra Frame and it is the perfect size for our small backyard. To go from the 15 to the 22 will be a big difference. If I had the room I would definitely go the larger. PridgNYC is right about the pump size. Think about upgrading the pump to a larger one.
    6423 AG Intex 18 x 48 Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter Pool Pump TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you go with the 18 or 22, it would be a good idea to hard plumb and go with a regular pool pump and filter set.

Check Pool School for what size and type of filter would fit your needs.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

this is upseting. after finding this wonderful site, i added a swg, intex sand filter(last year). this spring, hard plumbed with pvc with a skimmer, then it get gets about 5 leaks cant find them all.pool is about 5 years old. so i figure time to upgrade.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    If you go with the 18 or 22, it would be a good idea to hard plumb and go with a regular pool pump and filter set.

Check Pool School for what size and type of filter would fit your needs.

thats not necessary. ive got the 2650 intex sandfilter pump on my 18 and it is more than adequate. it churns my pool enough to create a current in it, plus run my waterfall fountain 12+feet in the air. i run it 6 hours a day from 830 to 230 pm every day and it flips my pool 2 1/2 times. at ~700 watts/hour it costs me about 12 cents an hour to run. in fact, I will probably upgrade in a season or two to the 26x52 intex and will probably keep the same pump and see how it does running about 8-10 hours on a 14k pool. unless it proves inadequate, im not paying high price for a regular pool pump.

at 156 dollars shipped to your door from amazon, its hard to beat the 2650! even if you had to replace it every 3 years, its still not bad for the price.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

The Ultra Frame pools are a solid investment, and proven to be (in my opinion) the best pool you can buy at their price point. The Intex 1600 sand filter will keep an 18' pool very clean and even circulate the water in a circle causing any debris to settle into a little circle in the center of the pool. I have been very impressed with mine. The 2650 is even better.

Good luck!
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

8. Back To Top    #8

i think i have the 2650 sand filter