Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Disolved CYA and shutting off pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Disolved CYA and shutting off pump

Hello all! Day 2 complete of our new pool and BBB method is coming along nice. I just dissolved 24oz of stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer basket. All was dissolved and sock empty after some squishing around in about 3-4 hours. Can I turn the pump off for the night or should I let it run all night? It's been running all day so thought I would give her a break.
    Thanks!
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/19,300 gal/ 1hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Disolved CYA and shutting off pump

You should let run for 24hrs to help dissolve. I do it that way. Won't hurt a thing.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Since the CYA is dissolved, turning it off is fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Will do, thanks for the prompt reply!!
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/19,300 gal/ 1hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

As for testing the CYA , I would still wait another 5-7 days. If you test too early, there's a risk that you may get a lower reading and you might be tempted to add more causing you to overshoot your target. CYA is one of those things that is much easier to add/increase than it is to lower.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, I added 48 oz of stabilizer which should bring me to 21. I'm thinking I will need another lb but wanted to wait a week and test to become confident in my testing and calculations. As you mentioned I would rather be a bit short and add a little more than overshoot and be at a level higher than I wanted.

7. Back To Top    #7

21 ppm is a bit low, unless you already have some CYA level.

Should be 30-50 ppm.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, maybe I'll just put the last LB in tomorrow and give it a week. I should be closer to 30 than 20 at that point.

9. Back To Top    #9

If your pool gets alot of sun 8-10 hrs 40 ppm will work pretty good. That's where mine is.

Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

It's full sun but we keep it covered a lot to try and warm it up.

11. Back To Top    #11

I take it you have a solar cover. With a really sunny hot day leave the cover off. You'll get better heating that way. The cover is good at keeping the temp in the water at night so you don't get heat loss due to evaporation.

I've already taken my cover off in the morning before the sun comes up and had steam coming off the water. Air temp was lower than pool water.

Jeff

12. Back To Top    #12

I did that Thursday, high of 82 but left it on today 85. It's pretty hard for me to get it on and off weekdays by myself...ok dang near impossible! It's been so cool here the past couple weeks for July, high 70's low 80's. Just when I get my pool fill mother nature decides it's September! They have high's in the 70's for next weekend too. I guess it's better than rain.

13. Back To Top    #13

I hear ya. It's the same here also. Next week no better. The kids were in today. Water temp was 84. Rain tomorrow. It's been a weird summer here.

Jeff