Help! Replaced Sand in a SD60 Sand Filter

My understanding about the water is that it's added so that the sand makes little to no impact on the "fingers" of your filter assembly, and therefore reduces the risk of breaking one of the fingers, which can be fragile. I don't think it would really count as a mistake, but rather a better way to add new sand. However, I've only changed my sand one time, so I wouldn't class myself as an expert.

Okay, makes sense. I also just read that a sand filter doesn't need to replaced. I believe my filter is only 5 years old at the most. I'm beginning to wonder if the "pool guy" just wanted to make $200.

Anyways, do I need to add water to the filter tank before starting up the pump now?

FYI - I just moved into a home with a pool and this is my first experience.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The sand in a sand filter usually does not need to be replaced. Sand can be deep cleaned and reseated to eliminate most problems caused by "old" sand. The filter itself can develop cracks or have parts that break and are obsolete, or just be too small for the job and need replacing for those reasons.

You do need to fill the filter with water before turning the pump on. Also put the multi port valve on "rinse" before starting the filter to flush out any sand that may have entered the center pipe while adding new sand. When there is no sand coming out you can turn off the pump and put the valve on "filter".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.