Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining a pool

I have high CYA (the TFT test kit confirms it at 100) and my chlorine level won;t go back to a normal range after two shocks to defeat algae. So I want to drain my pool by 1/3 and get the shemistry back to normal. Anything I whoul dbe aware of or careful of when I drain the pool? I am using two submersible pumps.

Thanks.
    30K gal, IG plaster, Hayward DE4820 48 sqft DE filter, 1 HP A.O. Smth pump, heater (usually off), Polaris 360 pool cleaner, built 1992

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining a pool

In a plaster pool the only thing to watch out for is a high local water table. You don't want to drain below the depth of the water table. This is rarely a problem for a partial drain this time of year unless your pool is located in a swampy area, or right next to a lake, or it has been raining a great deal recently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

THanks. One third should take it down two feet. Sounds like I shouold be okay, no?
    30K gal, IG plaster, Hayward DE4820 48 sqft DE filter, 1 HP A.O. Smth pump, heater (usually off), Polaris 360 pool cleaner, built 1992

4. Back To Top    #4

Current water level conditions compared to the land surface at monitored wells in New Jersey can be found here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/current/?type=gw. If you click on the well nearest you, it will show more information, including changes over time. That should help confirm what is safe for you to drain.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

5. Back To Top    #5

This is helpful. Thanks.