Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newly Installed IG Pool - Without Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Eastern PA

Newly Installed IG Pool - Without Filter

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to owning a pool. We just had a small IG Steel Wall/Vinyl Liner pool installed 3 days ago. I filled the pool completely 2 days ago so the pool builders could backfill over the concrete to set the steel walls.

Here is my dilemma: The electrician cannot come to run the electrical wires from pool to the filter to the house switch, as well as the underwater pool light. My husband and I are what you'd call totally clueless on how to take care of a pool, let alone a pool that does not have a filtration system hooked up. are my questions:

1. Is my pool water going to be ok until Tuesday without a filter? I did shock it tonight, as the pool installer suggested.

2. What would the daily maintenance be since I shocked it tonight?

3. Is it safe for my children to swim in it? The weather here on the East Coast has been and is forecasted to stay in the lower 80's/partly sunny/low humidity up until Tuesday.

I'm simply looking for advice on my situation. My children are becoming impatient (as am I) to swim in our new pool, but I don't want to compromise their safety in doing so.

Thanks in advance,
    Suzanne ~ Oval 12' x 24', IG Vinyl; 9,400 Gallons; 3'5 to 5'8 deep; Hayward Self-priming Super Pump, Pro Series Sand Filter, CL 220 Chlorinator, ColorLogic 4.0

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Newly Installed IG Pool - Without Filter

Welcome to the forum. Spend your time waiting on the electrician by reading pool school and considering one of the test kits there. I'd get some FC in there pronto using bleach and you can brush it around---about 5 to 7 ppm.. Check the Ph and get it in range and let the kiddos have at it. They'll stir it up! I wouldn't add any CYA until you get the filter/pump running. Use pool calculator to determine how much bleach to add DAILY to keep that FC up. A few pucks in a floater is a good idea at this point as well.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

What he said, the key is to add chlorine every day as needed
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

Brushing after adding liquid chlorine will mix it well into the water. You should also skim the surface with a net to remove any floating debris until the filter and pump are up and running.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!