Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool drain question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool drain question

So from previous questions we have determined that due to my very high CYA levels, I will have to drain a substantial ammount of water. Can I do this at the end if the season and let it sit all winter ? My pool is covered all winter and is vinyl. Thanks
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool drain question

I don't think you would want to do that with a vinyl liner. It would damage it. You can't drain and fill it back up ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I could. I suppose it would take the better part of a day or so to drain a few feet out. I'm not sure how to determine how much water to drain. I have 39,200 gallons and my CYA was about 140
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the pool calc http://www.poolcalculator.com/. It will tell you. Enter your current CYA and then enter where you want it to be and hit calc.

What test kit do you have !

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Taylor tf 100

6. Back To Top    #6

Calculator says I need to drain 43%

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok just wanted to make sure we have a good test kit, so your current CYA level is valid. Good job !

Jeff

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Thesil
    Calculator says I need to drain 43%
    There you go.

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

You can drain in thirds. Take a test and see where you are.

I would t drain all at once.

Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

Your test kit only tests up to 100 ppm

Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah but I used half pool water and half tap water and multiplied the answer by 2 to get 140. I will drain at end if season, then fill it up and cover for the winter. Sound good?