Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using cheap pool pump - Risk damaging anything?

1. Back To Top    #1

Using cheap pool pump - Risk damaging anything?

Hi. First off, thank you all for all the help and info this board provides.

I have a 15,000 gallon 30'x15' pool with 1.5" piping, in the hot Florida sun.
    Filter is Sta-Rite System 2.

I just ordered a new, cheap, 2 speed 1.5 HP pump off eBay for $165 and my concern is not how long the pump lasts but if I am risking putting any of my pool equipment or plumbing at risk.

Prior to this I had a Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 HP single speed that lasted only 2 years.

As long as this new cheapo pump lasts a year or two I'm OK with it, but because it's so cheap does this mean I'm risking damaging anything else?

I plan to run it only at low speed about 8-10 hours per day for filtration and occasionally switch to high for a couple of hours just to run the automatic cleaner.

I know that 1.5 HP is overkill for my pool size but I went with the 1.5 HP version of this new cheap pump due to it being 2 speed so I could run it at low all the time and still have the higher power available for the automatic cleaner and backwash.

Thank you for any info.
    Pool: 30'x15' rectangular, approx. 15,200 gallon
    Last Working Pump: Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 HP, model: 340039
    Filter: Sta-Rite System 2, model: PLM100
    Automatic Cleaner: Old-model Hayward Navigator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Using cheap pool pump - Risk damaging anything?

Welcome to the forum. It may not give you the flow that you are expecting but done is done. Does it list a Service Factor on the motor......it's likely not a full-rated 1.5 HP but, even then, you may get your two years out of it....time will tell.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum. It may not give you the flow that you are expecting but done is done. Does it list a Service Factor on the motor......it's likely not a full-rated 1.5 HP but, even then, you may get your two years out of it....time will tell.
    Thank you for the reply. Am I risking damaging any other equipment by using this cheap pump? Thanks again.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't think so.

The thing to watch is the energy consumption. The cheap motors are *generally* less efficient, watch that electric bill.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, aquafan

As duraleigh was indicating most likely not, but posting the service factor on the motor will tell us/you whether is it a "full" rated or "uprated" pump. Even better would be a make/model of the pump so we could review the performance curves. In all likelihood though, that pump probably moves less water than your current pump so you should be okay.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Am I risking damaging any other equipment by using this cheap pump?
    No.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you so much guys, that takes a load off my chest. I didn't mind taking a risk with the life of the pump but I certainly don't want to damage anything else because of the pump being so cheap. So you're saying because it's a cheap pump then most likely it won't move as much water as a higher quality 1.5 HP pump? That's actually another reason I chose the 1.5 HP version over the 1 HP, because I figured the "1.5" was really going to be slower anyway. Another question if you don't mind, if I'm using 2 speed pumps, does having the automatic pool cleaner mean I should go for 1.5 HP instead of 1 HP on this 15K pool? Again thanks for the help and quick replies. Cheers.