Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Seems solar covers tend to last about 3 years and that is about it. How about winter covers? I bought one new last season, and it is fine, but was just offered another one, brand new, still in the box for a pretty deep discount, like 60% off. Great price, but less appealing if it is likely to sit in an attic for 5 more years before I need it.

I used the winter cover for three years and threw it out. It didn't have any rips, but I was seeing more daylight through it when I held it up to the light. It seemed thinner and I just didn't want to trust it for a 4th winter. We have serious snow here and it took a beating. Now I'm on the look for a new one. Not sure if I want solid or one with a mesh strip.

I would get the extra winter cover for the big discount for sure and keep it somewhere other than the attic. if it's brand new in the box store it under your bed or somewhere. It would be fine for storing since it won't be the elements or get sun damage.

I have been pondering winter cover life span also. Several of my neighbors are telling me that a winter cover lasts for one winter no matter what one buys. I am wondering if the "pillow" products make a difference in the life of a winter cover or if their purpose is only to keep accumulated water near the edge so it can be sucked out easily?

Thanks everyone, I bought the cover, $40 for a $120 cover was too good to pass up in factory sealed box! I'll just store it in my basement.

Hurt - My cover seemed fine after its first winter, so I don't think a one season rule is strictly true. With regard to the pillow - Not sure that they pillow actually extends the life of a winter cover. I believe it is for ice protection as much as anything else. Pillow in the middle means that (theoretically) will be the last spot to freeze, making it less likely that ice will climb your side wall. I used one last year (first time closing) and also tossed in an old tire inner tube. There are many many people on here who don't use them and are fine, but it is a pretty low cost easy thing to do with no downside that I can think of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.