Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expected life of winter cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Expected life of winter cover

Seems solar covers tend to last about 3 years and that is about it. How about winter covers? I bought one new last season, and it is fine, but was just offered another one, brand new, still in the box for a pretty deep discount, like 60% off. Great price, but less appealing if it is likely to sit in an attic for 5 more years before I need it.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expected life of winter cover

I could use a 21 round if the price is right!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I used the winter cover for three years and threw it out. It didn't have any rips, but I was seeing more daylight through it when I held it up to the light. It seemed thinner and I just didn't want to trust it for a 4th winter. We have serious snow here and it took a beating. Now I'm on the look for a new one. Not sure if I want solid or one with a mesh strip.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

4. Back To Top    #4

I would get the extra winter cover for the big discount for sure and keep it somewhere other than the attic. if it's brand new in the box store it under your bed or somewhere. It would be fine for storing since it won't be the elements or get sun damage.
    Lizzieann,

27x54 AGP with Waterfall, 18,500 gallons, Waterway Sand filter- Waterway 1.5 hp -1 speed pump , TF-100 test kit, BBB method.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been pondering winter cover life span also. Several of my neighbors are telling me that a winter cover lasts for one winter no matter what one buys. I am wondering if the "pillow" products make a difference in the life of a winter cover or if their purpose is only to keep accumulated water near the edge so it can be sucked out easily?
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone, I bought the cover, $40 for a $120 cover was too good to pass up in factory sealed box! I'll just store it in my basement.

Hurt - My cover seemed fine after its first winter, so I don't think a one season rule is strictly true. With regard to the pillow - Not sure that they pillow actually extends the life of a winter cover. I believe it is for ice protection as much as anything else. Pillow in the middle means that (theoretically) will be the last spot to freeze, making it less likely that ice will climb your side wall. I used one last year (first time closing) and also tossed in an old tire inner tube. There are many many people on here who don't use them and are fine, but it is a pretty low cost easy thing to do with no downside that I can think of.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)