Iron and tinted water

Jul 24, 2013
Blair, Nebraska
We just bought a used 28ft x 4ft AGP, set it up and filled it from our well. We've had a small temporary pool up for several years and I have been able to manage the iron problem by adding Iron Myte as I fill the pool each spring and every time I add fresh water. I used 1" trichlor tabs and nothing else in the smaller pool and it worked well.

After filling the big pool, I added Iron Myte according to the label then poured in a gallon of bleach. As expected the water turned colors, then cleared over the next day. However test results 24 hours later were
FC 0
PH 7.2
(as taken with the HTH test kit we got with the pool. My TF-100 has not yet arrived)

Yesterday I put another gallon of bleach in followed 2-16oz bags of dichlor. The water again turned color. This morning test results are
FC >12 (off the scale high)
PH 7.2

I backflushed the sand filter and got deep brown muddy looking water out of it, so I backflushed it til it ran clear. Should I just keep running the filter and wait for the water to clear? Does the Iron Myte get 'used up' so I need to add more?

Welocome to TFP!

By looking at the steps you've taken, you have a known iron issue. Iron Myte does two things. 1. It removes stains by using citric acid. It then, using HEDP, keeps the metals in solution and prevents iron from depositing on the pool surfaces.

You burned through that initial dose of chlorine bleach because the citric acid ate it. After the citric acid was gone, the remaining bleach is reflected in your test results.

Keep your filter running. What color is your water currently? Is it clear or cloudy?

As far as the sequestrant goes, if you don't have staining then you won't need antyhing with citric (or ascorbic) acid in it. You will need to maintain a level of a sequestrant (e.g. HEDP) to keep the metals in suspension though.

You burned through that initial dose of chlorine bleach because the citric acid ate it.

Ah, that explains it. I could not understand where it went. The water is now cloudy and looks like it's slowly improving. The filter has been running since 6:30am this morning. I backflushed it again and again got a big slug of dirty brown water out of it but not as bad as the first time.

your are aware of the side effects...right?

Only a little. I have been reading TFP for days (and find it amazingly helpful!). I let myself get pressured by our kids and wife who all wanted to swim after we spent the last week moving dirt and putting the pool together. I get your point, I am done adding things for now until I know what's going on. The first TF-100 I ordered was backordered (without my knowledge) so I had to cancel that and order again from a different supplier. I will feel better once I have good test numbers.

The first TF-100 I ordered was backordered (without my knowledge) so I had to cancel that and order again from a different supplier. I will feel better once I have good test numbers.

Hey really sorry to hear this! It is my responsibility to make sure we never run out of those kits, and I am not sure where the disconnect was here. I am showing that we have plenty in stock, but I will double check that and make sure that never happens to anyone else! You are also free to reach out to me directly if you have any future issues. My email is [email protected]

Anyways, you are going to LOVE that kit. Makes such a huge difference!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.