110v hot tubs?

connie

Jul 15, 2012
I am interested in purchasing a hot tub but can only use 110 v. We live in a 200 yr old farm house and although have a fairly new breaker system we are not able to put a 220 line in. Cost prohibitive in our area. I live in upstate NY where temps go below freezing through the winters but really would like one for hubby and myself.
Has anyone recommendations on brand or type? I would prefer one with seats as opposed to the sit on the ground one a neighbor has. Much too difficult for me to get in and out.

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I have been looking at that one as well. You are happy with it so it makes me feel better to order online. I would love to have it for a Christmas gift to hubby and myself.

You found yours on Craigslist? I will have to take a look see.

No opinion on the tub itself, hope you enjoy it when you get it!

The only thing I want to suggest is to try to get it on it's own circuit if you can. The heating element consumes a LOT of power and can cause problems if anything else is plugged in to the line. If the wiring is not fairly new, say less than 20 years old, run a dedicated line from the breaker to the tub. It could save you a lot of headache and/or fire hazards!

Donldson said:
...I want to suggest is to try to get it on it's own circuit if you can. The heating element consumes a LOT of power and can cause problems

Another plus of the DreamMaker Spas... the way they heat does not draw a lot of current. The heater cannot raise the water temps fast but it does seem to do the job of maintaining the temp. Of course in Florida we rarely drop below 32F... it did happen on a few nights and the spa did hold the 102F target OK while covered.

Our install is not on a dedicated circuit for the moment. We have run the spa and a small refrigerator on that branch (20A) and will be adding a TV eventually. Fortunately, IF that makes trouble it is feasible for me to get at the wiring and divide the feeds, but I hope it will not be needed. Of course any circuit needs to have proper wire size and breakers to be safe... but running them at the rated load should not create a hazard.

Good luck on your search!

True, 1500 watts isn't much, just don't plug a toaster in with it (probably a good idea for many reasons :wink:) The old wiring statement stands, especially if the circuit is only 15 amps instead of 20 amps.

One thing, with that lower of power draw it might not be suitable for year round use outdoors in NY. Connie: you may want to look for additional reviews from people in northern climates if you plan to use it outdoors. If using it indoors, just make sure the floor can handle the weight, and then soak away :mrgreen:

btw - found a picture of mine in my new build thread
file.php

yes, for sure find out how it will do in a northern climate.
a few other notes on the product - it cannot be leveled, it must sit on a level surface. My (newly installed) pavers had been pitched away from the house and it cost me $150 to have the guy come back and remove and re-install them dead level.
If possible site it so you can run a hose to a lower spot - to drain/re-fill you just start the hose running by placing it over a jet and then let it syphon out the spa. The bottom drain on mine is useless and I was not interested in breaking it trying to get it to open up.
the empty spa only weighs 300# or so and can be easily slid around empty or moved by rolling it end over end. To estimate deck load add 300 to 8.4 x capacity in gallons plus the weight of the people. We were able to get 6 people in ours once... (but they were all little girls @ less than 100# each average)

Thank you all very much for the information. I will look into the northern climate and the heat situation. I really want to buy one for my husband as he is the greatest and we could both enjoy it. He talked about expanding the deck to the pool and adding in a hot tub for me LOL. I have been searching on craigslist and will keep doing so. As for level does it need to be EXACT? or can it pitch and inch or two? Just asking as our ground here is so un-level and yes we can get it excavated but just to be sure in case it is not perfect. I plan to put pavers under it adn then have deck built around it when I find one. If not I will put it behind the garage near the back door and maybe put an enclosure around it not fully closed up but one made out of lattice to cut the wind down in winter.

Thank you again and I love the picture of your spa looks beautiful!

I don't think an inch of pitch would work well, for one thing you would see it on the waterline inside.
Our pavers were pitched something like 1/8" per foot away from the house - eg 1 1/4" over 10' and we had them reset at dead level, eg with 1/8" over 10'

One nice thing about this spa is that when it is empty 1 person can move it. So you can always site it, fill it, try it then move it if you need to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not yer, we have had lots of other things happening here. Kids are moving back from Florida so been house hunting weekly/ daily. Daughter's husband transferred so that takes precedence. Still hunting craigslist but have received some emails for inexpensive ones/ discounted online. I still have some time before the snow flys but kids do not so again they take the priority. Hard to look for a house for someone else but they trust dad and I so we have been searching and taking lots of pics. Thought we had one then that fell through on the other side, dang it but not meant to be I guess.

We'll the EZ spa is GREAT! I am in CT and the winters are rough here, but I'll vouch that the temp stays at whatever you set it at. We have ours at 104 degrees all winter and it's nice and hot. We didn't want to spend big bucks on a hot tub so we went this route. No regrets!

Do you keep it outside or inside?
I would like to put outside behind the house where it is less windy from the open fields plus we can get in and out of the garage and not soak the floors.

I have a very old Jacuzzi Sport that I had purchased second hand years ago that is 110 (but can be wired 220.) It has run like a champ outdoors in snow all its life. The sport line, circa mid 90s, has the bench formed seating, plastic bottom well with cedar skirt. I tell you this because this old style periodically turns up on craigslist and often just needs a tune up (eg pressure switch, etc., that would be cheap...whereas pump is not.)

Last year, I did have to replace the 17-year-old pump. The repair guy figured it was worth it because it was in such good shape otherwise.

A few notes about running a smaller-style/portable hottub outdoors in winter -- first is water access in winter, because if you use it a lot, you will need to top it up now and then due to evaporation, carry out and whatnot. My outdoor faucets are closed during the winter, but since the hottub is near a second garage with running water, I keep a hose stored somewhere "warm" to keep it flexible and then top up by attaching it to the utility sink in the heated garage and running same out to the hottub.

The second note is to be sure to cheek the tub anytime there's a "gfi" event like a storm, brownout, heavy ice rain, etc. Mine will come back on but in "Econ" mode which means no heat...so you have to set it back to standard.

Third pointer is to religiously clear the snow off the lid to avoid difficulties or cause cover sag -- and to be sure the cover is rated for winter....snow rated covers are thicker and are designed for the load. My old hottub (a vita spa duet) was the oval type with a normal cover and not only did it sag from snow, it was also extremely difficult to manouever in winter because it was not the creased type.

Good luck in your search! I love mine, and use it every single day in the fall, winter and spring...and more than you might think in the summer too! What a great gift :)

connie said:
Do you keep it outside or inside?
I would like to put outside behind the house where it is less windy from the open fields plus we can get in and out of the garage and not soak the floors.

Yes, I keep my ez spa outside next to my sunroom. I did buy a gazebo which keeps us and the spa free of snow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.