Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solved the low salt light vs. test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Augusta, Kansas

Solved the low salt light vs. test results

I thought I'd share my discovery/solution. My Intex SWG (Mr. G) started flashing the low salt light. At first my test results agreed and I added the needed amount of salt. I sent the kids into play to "stir the tea" as we call it. The remainer of the week Mr. G continued with the low salt beeping. My test results indicated that I was fine - maybe a smidge towards the low end of the scale but nothing close to the beeping end of the scale.

I decided to give Mr.G a good cleaning thinking maybe some build up on the plates was causing the missleading reading. I pulled Mr. G from the filter and filled the tube with vinegar. I let him soak all day. I did notice some buildup so I crossed my fingers. At 10 pm in semi-darkness (yes I'd forgotten about him) I hosed out the vinegar and reattached everything and started the system back up No code!

So if your SWG is throwing a low salt and you know your salt level is may be time to give your SWG a good vinegar soak.

15,000 salty gallons - 32' x 16' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Solved the low salt light vs. test results

If you post a full set of test results, especially ph, CH, TA, cya, salt and borate level (if you use it) and we may be able to help reduce the occurrence of deposits.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.